Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD2 options

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PHD2 Polar Align quickly gets you roughly right after setup.

PHD2 Static Polar A!ign gets you to about 5 arc mins.

That's good enough to guide on, particularly if you have a lot of Dec backlash, you can then guide in one direction only.

If you want better than that, PHD2 Drift Align.

Michael 

The only tool I've used is the 'Drift Align' one - the others just seem to add confusion - they should have given them different names! I think the 'Polar drift align' tool only works if you point the guide scope at or near Polaris whereas the proper drift align only works if you point due south for az then either due east or west for alt.

34 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

The only tool I've used is the 'Drift Align' one - the others just seem to add confusion - they should have given them different names! I think the 'Polar drift align' tool only works if you point the guide scope at or near Polaris whereas the proper drift align only works if you point due south for az then either due east or west for alt.

think im gonna stick to sharpcap for polar align then PHD for drift align. 

6 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

This is PHD2 polar drift moments later, same mount, scope and cam. 

image.png.61ae1e5a72816d0131aeb4ce5c32ca90.png

Can you send me your debug log? PDA is not as accurate as other methods but it should not be that far out. You can use the help menu option to upload to PHD support and I’ll have a look at it there

On 07/08/2018 at 05:13, kens said:

Can you send me your debug log? PDA is not as accurate as other methods but it should not be that far out. You can use the help menu option to upload to PHD support and I’ll have a look at it there

Fwiw Kens i used PDA for PA on my last session, and it resulted in 0.6" - 0.7" guiding, and i damn near cried (tears of happiness though)! ?

I really should learn to drift align though...

I got it down to 0.6" last time, using LowPass. I tried Lowpass2 on DEC and it was useless, kept losing the plot.

Before I have used resistswitch and hysteresis and not been able to get below 0.7, often worse.

Here's a single frame (jpeg). Sensor was a bit grubby, I'm afraid. It's a random choice and been stretched but no other processing.

1030670752_oneframe.thumb.jpg.d578463bd4b012f125b5bd32ee9d8c03.jpg

Edit: why is it that a single frame with minimal adjustment can look almost as good as my stacked an processed version?

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Here's a single frame (jpeg). Sensor was a bit grubby, I'm afraid. It's a random choice and been stretched but no other processing.

Edit: why is it that a single frame with minimal adjustment can look almost as good as my stacked an processed version?

Hiya

Could be lucky imaging or it could be you're not stacking enough subs. See 'How to create better images' in the Deepskystacker help.

Louise

56 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Could be lucky imaging or it could be you're not stacking enough subs. See 'How to create better images' in the Deepskystacker help.

It's not a stacking issue, it's just that i struggle to get that colour, my nebulosity suffers the 'curse of pink'.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's not a stacking issue, it's just that i struggle to get that colour, my nebulosity suffers the 'curse of pink'.

That just sounds like a histogram adjustment issue, Neil. If stacking in dss you usually need to adjust saturation and save the image. Then it's usually just a matter of tweaking the levels/curves in your favourite image editor.

Louise

44 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

If stacking in dss you usually need to adjust saturation and save the image.

More subtle than that, I've tried dozens if not hundr4eds of approaches, I just can't get the 'rich red' without making things look artificial.  This si probably eth bet I'v managed so far, bit still looks like its behind a sheet of tracing paper.

Archived