Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD2 options

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be on the side of the graph under the  settings tab.

Also make sure you have added the correct data for your camera and guide scope. Before each session run calibration. I do this on a star near the meridian/equator.

28 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

calibration worked ok, polar aligned in sharpcap to (5" Excellent). didnt run the assistant. still confused how i cant switch to arc second graphing. 

Must admit never heard of that one before..sorry can't help..

If you run the guiding assitant for at least 5 mins in both axis apply the settings and the graph will look and work far better..where in the sky did you callibrate?

slew the mount to the south as though you are going to drift align and then run calibration and see if this helps. I knon @kens is either the main developer or has a large part to play in PHD so maybe he can shed some light on the graph settings. I might be easier to reinstall and start from scratch.

Not a main developer but I know my way around the code a little. In fact just recently I made a change to the very menu. The option to show arcseconds scale needs both camera pixel size and focal length to be entered. I was able to make the arcsecond option go grey by setting pixel size to 0 on the camera tab of the brain. Once set it is remembered in your profile.

Hi

It's not too bad really - you're mostly getting deflections of less than 3" - it would look better on the graph if you change the scale! It looks like you may be poorly balanced or have flex. Exactly what the problem is you'll have to determine through systematically going through your setup. What guide scope do you have and how is it mounted? Are you slightly East heavy? What was seeing like? How was your calibration? It looks like something is causing random (?) and relatively large deflections in RA. You may be losing the guide star periodically but with everything setup ok you should be able to run unguided for several minutes (at least, if you have a reducer). You want to aim for an RA Osc that is not far off 0.5 (see under 'Graphical Display' in the user manual).
Running the Guiding Assistant for a reasonable length of time should give you some useful info and data independent of guiding corrections and show you what the limits due to seeing will be.  Changing the y-scale to +/-8" will probably be useful. Maybe increase the x axis to 200 also to see more samples. Oh, do make use of the (guide) star profile display to make sure your chosen guide star is good (high snr, not clipped). Your snr above is 23.6 - you want something much better really. There looks to be lots of potential guide stars in your frame and a 2s exposure is usually good.

It's good to use the PHD2 drift align tool if you can.

Polar aligning and calibration are iterative i.e. after running the calibration you polar align then run calibration again then check polar alignment. That's cos you need a good calibration to get a good PA but you need a good PA to get a good calibration. You can understand why it's a dream to have a fixed setup in an obsy...

Louise

Archived