SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Charity shop finds..

RiponJas

Was having a mooch round the local charity shops today with my family and noticed these stuck in a corner. 

_20180801_161956.thumb.JPG.57aaa608ada6649f97a2a22f147f5ec2.JPG_20180801_162850.thumb.JPG.3dba46cdc79fea373276de981d67cf9c.JPG

Just under £10, thought it was a good price. Apart from a scratch on the bodywork and being dusty they are in great condition. A step up from the 8x30s I occasionally use.. 

Anybody here had good experiences from charity shops? 

Bought these from a charity selling on ebay - £5 plus a few pounds postage. Must be a good few years old and they are a little heavy but perfect for a bit of occasional stargazing.

Bino1.jpg

Bino2.jpg

Clean them with something that kills microbes, urgently. Two months ago my neighbor's child kissed me on the cheek, and two days later he developed an infectious disease that was brewing when he kissed me. He got the full-blown infection, rash all over his body but I had only a "milder" version because I am an adult with a ferocious (that's documented by lab tests) immune system. 

Still the microbe took hold above my eye, just under the eyebrow. At the worst moment all the eye socket was swollen during one week like I had taken a punch. The bacteria ate almost one square centimeter of skin, left a scar that got discrete only after five weeks; a ghost of it remains but it's half-hidden by the eyebrow, so not too much bad luck. It will disappear completely in time thanks to the face's skin bigger power to regenerate.

I used to lend my 16x70 bino to anyone at club meetings, member or visitor. Now I won't any more. I always found that new tradition of giving anyone a kiss on the cheek unnatural, now I found it unhygienic, to boot. Clean your used binocs with something that kills microbes.

I got given a pair of those zipper tascos recently .  I know the name Tasco scares people off a bit but i am quite impressed with them.  NGC7000 was clearly visible with them last week.  Don't get any luck in charity shops though...

I've had a number of charity shop binoculars over the years, all of them of the porro-type and made in Japan.  Flea-markets are another option, but we need to check out secondhand binoculars thoroughly before purchasing. It's advisable to look through the big ends first, any dust, condensation or fungus will reveal itself.

10 hours ago, Merlin said:

I've had a number of charity shop binoculars over the years, all of them of the porro-type and made in Japan.  Flea-markets are another option, but we need to check out secondhand binoculars thoroughly before purchasing. It's advisable to look through the big ends first, any dust, condensation or fungus will reveal itself.

Yeah agreed, looking through the big end is a must. Often these cheap model have the lenses held in position with a sort of spongy foam which with age can come loose and only be spotted by looking through the back end..

Boot sales probably offer better opportunity.

But get there at 06:00 as by 8:00 binoculars and other desirable stuff will have cunningly been 'picked' and sold at least three times and will by then be appearing on another 'stall' at a higher price. 

Tasco made pretty good stuff.. recently picked up a 118 and 124 quite reasonably. Many odd sounding old Porros are quite good. Never had much luck with my  local charity shops, maybe need to look more widely. 

Peter

Archived