Narrowband

New OSC advice

Deeko

Hello, I currently use a Nikon D3300 DSLR with an HEQ5 Pro and SW 130PDS setup. At the moment I am happy with my progress with imaging, particularly with DSO work, but as always looking for a bit more quality. Due to family and  demanding work commitments it is a battle to find time (as well as clear skies!).  I am looking for a reasonable upgrade to my D3300 by route of a cooled OSC, mainly as a I don't have the significant time required for mono + filters. Budget is around £1000, looking at the ZWO 294MC Pro cooled: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-294mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html , any suggestions of other OSCs with similar specs/price?

I'm in the same boat (of sorts). The Horizon is a good camera, but almost 250 more than the same sensor (1600) in a different body. What you're paying for is the ease of use, the software and a UK based company. 

The 294 sensor is arguably better than the 1600 of the Horizon, and has a larger FOV. Is convenience worth the extra ££? 

In my case time and convenience may well be king in making a final decision, the quicker and easier my workflow can be made the better. I am averse to shelling out an extra wad of  cash though if its all about a bit of extra polish when I don't mind an initial challenge :) The more opinions/thoughts we can get on this thread the better!

Then you need to consider what your Workflow is as well. The thing drawing me to the Horizon (apart from UK support) is the live stacking within their propriety software. SharpCap can do this as well, but Artemis being designed to work with that specific camera means it just works. Also means I can show off what I'm doing in almost real time, and abort the session if it's not looking great. 

Do you guide / plan on guiding? Do you plan on considering one of the many 'air' devices aimed at making things more wireless? 

On pure performance I would go for the 294. Both seem well suited to the scope, and as you said everything you can do with the Horizon you can do with the ZWO, it may just take longer initially. 

Yes, I do guide via PhD2 and use Stellarium with eqmod. Everything is hooked up to Surface Pro 3 laptop/tablet (win 10) which can run off 12v. Essentially this means I can remote into the Surface wirelessly from inside to check on things, so atm I am not leaning toward a desire for wireless devices but would be nice to have - the amount of physical wiring does get in the way though. The main downside I have had with the Surface is that it is sensitive to cold temps, the battery will basically stop functioning reliably when exposed to just below zero for around an hour and will end the session, my Dell XPS 13 laptop does not suffer from this.

3 hours ago, Deeko said:

I don't have the significant time required for mono + filters

Just before you decide on an OSC I would feel guilty if I didnt point out that in terms of amount of data gathered then mono imaging is MUCH faster than OSC. 

I actually use a Surface Pro 3 as well, but run a long USB cable to a powered hub so I can sit in my kitchen and monitor the session - noticed the same thing as you with regards to the battery in the cold. I'm looking to replace the long USB cable with an ASIair or ATIK Air, depending what camera I go for which is why I asked.

As above, mono would actually be quicker to capture the data (in LRGB) as the exposures would be shorter combined than the OSC required to get the same data. Processing can also be quicker, and it does open the door to narrowband. It would bump up the price, however, as a mono 1600 plus filter wheel and filters is 50% more expensive than the 294.

If you're set on OSC then the 294 looks good. Seems better than the 1600MC for imaging, and also allows for EAA.

• 2 months later...
On 02/08/2018 at 10:00, agthomson said:

I actually use a Surface Pro 3 as well, but run a long USB cable to a powered hub so I can sit in my kitchen and monitor the session - noticed the same thing as you with regards to the battery in the cold. I'm looking to replace the long USB cable with an ASIair or ATIK Air, depending what camera I go for which is why I asked.

As above, mono would actually be quicker to capture the data (in LRGB) as the exposures would be shorter combined than the OSC required to get the same data. Processing can also be quicker, and it does open the door to narrowband. It would bump up the price, however, as a mono 1600 plus filter wheel and filters is 50% more expensive than the 294.

If you're set on OSC then the 294 looks good. Seems better than the 1600MC for imaging, and also allows for EAA.

@agthomsonI ordered the 294MC-Pro yesterday and should arrive tomorrow (23/10). I notice you have the 294 in your sig, any advice with software you use and settings etc. would be fantastic, thanks.

Archived