Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie needs advice

Rughead77

Hello, I just got a celestron nexstar130slt. I was wondering if a 3x Barlow is a bit much starting out. I Bought a 2x celestron and wonder if I was being too safe? Great to join you folks. I can see this is going to get expensive!!

Hi and welcome. Yes it can get very expensive very quickly!

The technical information on Celestron's site says that the maximum useful magnification is 307×. With your stock eyepieces - 25 mm & 9 mm giving you 26× & 72× respectively, a 3× Barlow would give you 78× & 216× so within your 'scopes maximum.

Having said that, the 307× max is under ideal conditions and may be a little optimistic anyway. 

Stock EPs are not always that good a quality either. You would be better off sticking with your 2× Barlow and upgrading your EPs.

First of all welcome from land down under

I use 2 X barlow, and have some of my club members, when imaging with a Meade LX200, actually piggyback a 2 X barlow and 3 X barlow

Agree with Stargazer33, EP's make all the difference

Have a Celestron metal case which came with 5 EP's from 32MM down to 5MM, and also included filters and 2 X barlow

You would  not go far wrong with that

John

Wow, really nice people in this lounge......I look forward to this journey....thanks for all the advice...I am going going with the 2x Barlow until .....

interesting article.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/09/19/new-space-telescope-40-times-the-power-of-hubble-to-unlock-astronomys-future/.  Still I am captivated with my telescope 

Archived