Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LRGB Data Set

Rodd

27 minutes ago, Ola Skarpen said:

Yes, there was a little gradient there, I did not see this before the picture was finished, so I cut it off. I should have removed this before stretching, but forgot it. I can take a new round on this tonight.

Ola has inspired me to reduce the stars a bit so the nebulae are front and center.  At first glance in many images of this region, one is struck by the numerous gold stars.  But its not the stars that provide the rick gold--its the underlying nebulae.

I still need to rework this--it may be clipped in the black

AAA.thumb.jpg.dc9146b50ccf84590c3a75cd9eddfdc1.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gorann said:

Very nice Ola! But I think you cropped it a bit to much particularly to the left and bottom. Did you just not want to deal with the gradients? Gradient Exterminator in PS had no problem fixing it and Wim @wimvbgot rid of them using some magic procedure in PI

Dbe in PixInsight hould only be used on linear data, but that doesn't mean you can't use it on non linear data.

9 hours ago, Rodd said:

AAA.thumb.jpg.dc9146b50ccf84590c3a75cd9eddfdc1.jpg

I think the stars get a little too strong blue strength.It's those strong stars that get the most and first attention when you look at the picture(big picture ).Try too make a blue color mask, and tone the color down

1 hour ago, Ola Skarpen said:

Try too make a blue color mask, and tone the color down

I am not sure--I kind of think the blue stars stand apart--there are not very many of them and they are sprinkled across the red/gold star field.  Perhaps I could tome them down a bit, though.

Rodd

7 hours ago, Rodd said:

I am not sure--I kind of think the blue stars stand apart--there are not very many of them and they are sprinkled across the red/gold star field.  Perhaps I could tome them down a bit, though.

Rodd

What I mean is the strong blue halo around all blue stars.

think this interferes with the dynamics of the image and that these stars look unnatural. But this is only my opinion

blåst.jpg

I may agree with Ola. A bit less blue around the stars could benefit the image - worth a try at least. Meanwhile, I worked a bit on mine to recover the signal in the black areas (I obviously had cut the black point at some stage). I did this by putting an early version on top as a layer mask and apply it to the dark areas. Think it helped.

Rodd M8 LRGB PS25sign.jpg

8 hours ago, Ola Skarpen said:

think this interferes with the dynamics of the image and that these stars look unnatural. But this is only my opinion

blåst.jpg

I have definitely had worse!  I think the blue stars in this region are supposed to be blue-and the blue reflection nebula around M20 extends outward quite far.  The "halos" here--not even sure I would call them halos--don't bother me, since this zoom level is way beyond what the image is meant for.  Besides,   for me to " fix" the problem would require a reprocess. (color mask might work--but I find that script finicky).  If I reprocess I will see what I can do.

Rodd

7 hours ago, gorann said:

I may agree with Ola. A bit less blue around the stars could benefit the image

The question is are these stars supposed to be blue--if so, they might be a bit over saturated, but the reflection nebula around M20 extends quite far.  The blueness of the stars may bother me--the halos (I wouldn't call them halos) I can live with here.  

Rodd

9 hours ago, Ola Skarpen said:

see image

8 hours ago, gorann said:

I may agree with Ola.

OK--you guys win--I have reduced the star saturation of the blue tars a bit.  Better?

AAA-stars.thumb.jpg.0e0763a5fcf0d96d3d683e0ce2ee7d05.jpg

Should you get rid of the blue "ring" I think you best do this by editing this as much as possible before you merge the filters. I have the best results in this way. The star itself looks nice, but it's around the stars that are a bit weird. I'm also struggling with this sometimes.

14 minutes ago, Ola Skarpen said:

Should you get rid of the blue "ring" I think you best do this by editing this as much as possible before you merge the filters. I have the best results in this way. The star itself looks nice, but it's around the stars that are a bit weird. I'm also struggling with this sometimes.

A bit to nit picky even for me, I am afraid.  I have looked at the image in full res mode and I am not inclined to start fiddling--or reprocess at this time.  My thoughts are 

'really?"  One must know when to quit....and I think I have reached that point.  But I do appreciate the critical view.  Please keep at it

Rodd

48 minutes ago, Ola Skarpen said:

If you look at your first version, I think it looks much better.

OK--here is a color mask altered image.   I think I will increase the saturation of the stars themselves though (the blue ones).  EDIT--Because I lost my external driver--I only have access to the color mask on another laptop--so I has tpo modify my Astrobin image.  That is why full resolution is not very big.  Darn it.

AAA-Stars-CM.thumb.jpg.d83a8ad91b129f03791802f2346a30f9.jpg

1 hour ago, Ola Skarpen said:

If you look at your first version, I think it looks much better.

Here is a color mask version that I believe can be viewed at full resolution.  How's this?  I like the previous one the best--but it is too small.  This one is better in places, worse in others.

SLAAAStars-CM.thumb.jpg.c31866bf1708e1320b045e9f411acd88.jpg

3 hours ago, Rodd said:

(color mask might work--but I find that script finicky).  If I reprocess I will see what I can do.

Another way to fix this, is to make a starmask (or reuse one) which covers the halos (large scale structure to a higher value than default 2). Then use colour saturation to take the blue down. No colour mask needed (which I agree can be tricky), and quite fast.

While you all were processing away, I tried a new activity: stand-up paddle boards. Quite fun if it isn't too windy.

20 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Another way to fix this, is to make a starmask (or reuse one) which covers the halos (large scale structure to a higher value than default 2). Then use colour saturation to take the blue down. No colour mask needed (which I agree can be tricky), and quite fast.

While you all were processing away, I tried a new activity: stand-up paddle boards. Quite fun if it isn't too windy.

Great fun.  You can cover some distance

Rodd

13 minutes ago, gorann said:

Let this video be a warning to you Wim!

https://www.supthemag.com/videos/standup-paddling-fails-falls-and-bloopers/

By the way we are really converging on this image - I can soon not tell them apart. Maybe RGB brings convergence and NB diversity?

I think you are right, as there are more standards for rgb I think

Rodd

Archived