SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from sunny Malvern

PolarisMalvern

Ok.. so my wife (and doctor) say I need to find something to do in retirement to prevent me going insane (at 40.. I am lucky!) :)

I have a passion for physics (very large and very small) - although no qualifications in it and never attempted astronomy. 

I am technically literate (a php developer by trade).  After much research I have taken the plunge into the world of astro-photography with a Celestron CGX 800 HD... it will arrive by Friday.

I know, I know.. it's too much for me (lol.. I don't even own a digital camera yet!)  but hey.. I like a challenge and I have all the time in the world.

I look forward to learning from you all!!

38 minutes ago, Mick J said:

Welcome Polaris,  you can get all the answers here and may find a steep learning curve - always umteen ways of doing things, what fun !

Malvern, what a nice place, walked those hills a few times, you are not far for the SGL starparty in October.

Malvern is lovely indeed... which is one of the reason I went with an 800 and not 1100, just in case I have to drag it up a hill someday! ;-)

I have noted the SGL details.  Looks very exciting, thank you.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

welcome to the first world of amateur astronomy.  Nice to see yet another member from Worcestershire. ?

Thanks Michael... I very much hope, after a little practice, I will join the society to learn more and share my own stories. 

I love the picture of your observatory... I hope to have one too some day.  Do you know, I never considered that you would have an office and shelves in there... you have got my mind whirring at all the possibilities!

21 hours ago, PolarisMalvern said:

I love the picture of your observatory... I hope to have one too some day.  Do you know, I never considered that you would have an office and shelves in there... you have got my mind whirring at all the possibilities!

A man has got to have a shed ?

Just now, PolarisMalvern said:

Yes.. and a moon filter, and adjustable eyepiece and an iPhone holder (until I get practised enough to get a proper camera!) :)

Polarising or single moon filter? I use this one --->5addf27ccac70_variablemoonfilter.jpg.e490ce031fc7badb2a139b6d8384c995.jpg ...only available in 1.25" format.

Hi, MP, & welcome to SGL. 

AP is frustrating and satisfying in about equal measure. The learning curve is greater than either!  

Can't see anyone has recommended Making Every Photon Count (available from our sponsors FLO) yet. Great info & will pay for itself in no time.

Enjoy the journey. 

Archived