Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
astroegy

skywatcher

i wanted to ask if the sky-watcher 7AH power tank is compitable with the eq5 prosyncscan mount or no

It is, but 7Ah is very small. You may only want to power your mount at the momement, which this will, depending on how long your observing sessions last. It should do one night before needing charging again.

Try and have a think on where you may go in the future, with astronomy, and possibly buy a larger Leisure Battery.

• Like 1

I agree with Uplooker; the larger, 17 Ah model would be much better, if it falls within budget. 17Ah will get you a full night and possibly two full nights on a single charge, depending on how much slewing you do and whether you use the light or USB chargers for other items.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

I agree with Uplooker; the larger, 17 Ah model would be much better, if it falls within budget. 17Ah will get you a full night and possibly two full nights on a single charge, depending on how much slewing you do and whether you use the light or USB chargers for other items.

I bought the 17Ah a few months ago. Its pretty heavy.

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 05:22, astroegy said:

i wanted to ask if the sky-watcher 7AH power tank is compitable with the eq5 prosyncscan mount or no

First welcome from land down under

I use a car jump start power pack

Have run my EQ5 mount for 3 or 4 days at astro festivals, without need to recharge

jump start pack.jpg

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I bought the 17Ah a few months ago. Its pretty heavy.

The trade-off is price vs. weight when buying suitable battery packs. OP could go with the Powertank Pro Lithium, its a 158wh (translates to 13.16 Ah at 12VDC) Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO) which weighs 4.5 lbs., but costs over twice what the standard power tank costs. I would have suggested the Powertank Lithium as a great match for his mount. It's smaller than the Pro, has 86.4wh (7.2Ah) and only weighs 2.25 lbs. I use one with my AVX and it will power it for a long night or two short ones. It's smaller than  Foster's Lager oil can. I figured the OP was looking for something more economical.

I use one of those car starter setups like cletrac shows to run my EQ6R, it'll power that mount for 12 hours with frequent slewing.

Edited by Luna-tic

20 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

The trade-off is price vs. weight when buying suitable battery packs. OP could go with the Powertank Pro Lithium, its a 158wh (translates to 13.16 Ah at 12VDC) Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO) which weighs 4.5 lbs., but costs over twice what the standard power tank costs. I would have suggested the Powertank Lithium as a great match for his mount. It's smaller than the Pro, has 86.4wh (7.2Ah) and only weighs 2.25 lbs. I use one with my AVX and it will power it for a long night or two short ones. It's smaller than  Foster's Lager oil can. I figured the OP was looking for something more economical.

I use one of those car starter setups like cletrac shows to run my EQ6R, it'll power that mount for 12 hours with frequent slewing.

They must have seen me coming, when i bought my 17ah. €114 (but it does also have an am/fm radio and a siren).

Edited by LukeSkywatcher