Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Returning to Astronomy, First Light with the Dob

david o

Finally got first light with the Dob on Friday 27th.  What a treat, 1st light, a total lunar eclipse and Mars opposition! 

Got out to a local picnic area with the Dob and the 'frac.  The spot is surrounded by trees that block ambient light from the local town and villages.  The LP was bad with high humidity and some cloud.  After an hour and a half or so it clouded completely, bringing the session to an end.

Seeing was bad, even low power views showed broiling (40mm Plössl at 30x in the Dob and 32mm Plössl at 19x in the 'frac).  It'll need several more visits to the site to see if it's a problem generally with the location or not.

Arrived too late to catch Venus and only got the last 3rd or so of the eclipse.  Took in Mars obviously.  Also bagged Jupiter and Saturn.

Highlights of the night?  During moments of better seeing :-

four bright, pinpoint Galilean moons lined up either side of Jupiter with the Dob.

the Moon almost filling the whole view in the EP, with both 'scopes.

Mars, with the 'frac.

All in all, despite the appalling LP, terrible seeing and clouds a very satisfying return to astronomy.

The fire's been relit and the mojo is working again.

In a strange way feels like I've come home :D

Good job, David!!  You caught much more of the eclipse than I did. Welcome back to the game. I’m a wayward traveller myself! Doesn’t matter how long you are absent. Astronomy is to be enjoyed on your terms as and when......unless you’re a professional of course :) 

On 30/07/2018 at 02:37, david o said:

Finally got first light with the Dob on Friday 27th.  What a treat, 1st light, a total lunar eclipse and Mars opposition! 

Got out to a local picnic area with the Dob and the 'frac.  The spot is surrounded by trees that block ambient light from the local town and villages.  The LP was bad with high humidity and some cloud.  After an hour and a half or so it clouded completely, bringing the session to an end.

Seeing was bad, even low power views showed broiling (40mm Plössl at 30x in the Dob and 32mm Plössl at 19x in the 'frac).  It'll need several more visits to the site to see if it's a problem generally with the location or not.

Arrived too late to catch Venus and only got the last 3rd or so of the eclipse.  Took in Mars obviously.  Also bagged Jupiter and Saturn.

Highlights of the night?  During moments of better seeing :-

four bright, pinpoint Galilean moons lined up either side of Jupiter with the Dob.

the Moon almost filling the whole view in the EP, with both 'scopes.

Mars, with the 'frac.

All in all, despite the appalling LP, terrible seeing and clouds a very satisfying return to astronomy.

The fire's been relit and the mojo is working again.

In a strange way feels like I've come home :D

If ,After all your trials and tribulations David, You felt that it was a satisfying return to Astronomy, then I am afraid there is no hope for you....Welcome back.  :grin:

Archived