Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Western Veil Nebula - DSLR and no filter

My attempt at the Veil nebula a couple of weeks ago when the Moon wasn't about. 650/130 reflector on CG5. 28 subs @ 240 secs ISO1600. No filter but DSLR modified. Processed with DSS and GIMP.

A single test exposure of 360 secs with a UHC filter suggested this could bring a useful improvement, so I hope to try this out soon - with a longer exposure of course.

Veil20.jpg

15 hours ago, bobro said:

Certainly - from the Isle of Wight in the UK.

During this years IoW star party? Either way, I am hoping to get something like this from the city through a combination og my CCD+Ha and my DSLR. Wishful thinking perhaps.

1 hour ago, astrosathya said:

During this years IoW star party? Either way, I am hoping to get something like this from the city through a combination og my CCD+Ha and my DSLR. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Not as good as Bob's image, but I took this under fairly light-polluted skies:

1418496644_Veil2.thumb.png.273f12a8c1b5bb7372da40071b71738d.png

5 hours ago, astrosathya said:

Image was taken from my back garden - I estimate a Bortle 4 sky. I have briefly tried imaging with an Ha filter, but the exposures were so long that DSLR noise became very evident in the warm weather. I believe your more sensitive CCD should do better.

You may find it interesting to see the results with UHC filter I used which passes red and blue light. 

The first image was when the sky was as dark as it gets in July, the second 2 hours later as the sky was brightening and the third (UHC) image 25 min after the 2nd image.

L_0010_ISO1600_240s__20C.jpg

L_0030_ISO1600_240s__20C.jpg

L_0036_ISO1600_360s__20C.jpg

On 31/07/2018 at 16:01, bobro said:

Image was taken from my back garden - I estimate a Bortle 4 sky. I have briefly tried imaging with an Ha filter, but the exposures were so long that DSLR noise became very evident in the warm weather. I believe your more sensitive CCD should do better.

You may find it interesting to see the results with UHC filter I used which passes red and blue light. 

The first image was when the sky was as dark as it gets in July, the second 2 hours later as the sky was brightening and the third (UHC) image 25 min after the 2nd image.

L_0010_ISO1600_240s__20C.jpg

L_0030_ISO1600_240s__20C.jpg

L_0036_ISO1600_360s__20C.jpg

I do have a UHC filter too and looking at your results I am waiting to see what turns up in my Modeified DSLR, but yes, I will also take the Ha route just because I have one anyway :)

Archived