Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possibly my last Saturn this season.

MarsG76

Hello Astronomers...

As stated in the title, this image of Saturn from the 11th July is quite possibly my last image of Saturn until it returns next year. Hopefully by than I'll be set and have the 14" scope ready for planetary imaging.

Clear skies,

MG

Saturn_11Jul2018 0152AEST.jpg

11 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Outstanding.

11 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Excellent Saturn. Wonderful! :) 

Not as clear as I had in the past, but atmospheric conditions are out of our hands... looking ahead in the week, the best I can hope for is 60-80 km/hr high altitude winds... so not optimal

1 hour ago, Stargazer33 said:

That's nice. The Cassini Division is so clear you can even see the south polar region through the gap!

The Cassini division is a good "measuring stick" for testing the seeing while capturing. I find that when then Cassini division is stable during capture than the resulting image will look decent.

My goal is to capture a clear Encke division, not sure whether its been done (or even possible with a 8" scope)... but when you look closely at the edge of the rings on this (and my last) image, it is there... subtly.

2 minutes ago, ShrewView said:

If it's your last Saturn of the season it's a great one to end on. Thanks for sharing.

Last Saturn unless I get some exceptional quality sky condition in the new few weeks.

Archived