Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello there, I'm planning to use my Canon eos 450d for deep sky astrophotography attached to a telescope and need to know which settings to use including most importantly the custom function setup, I have searched everywhere on the net to find this info but to no avail. Any help would be very much appreciated.  Kindest regards, Paul.

Edited by Caveman

Mostly I set the camera settings using APT , so its generally , RAW , 800 or 1600 ISO exposure time and number of exposures is set using an APT plan.

One thing that did catch me out was image rotation. This needs to be turned off really in the camera settings.

Also once you have connected APT and are ready to image press the DISP button on the camera , will really save your battery time .

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Hi

I used a 450d. I had the settings on RAW ISO 800 and bulb with a remote shutter. Then went onto backyard EOS (which has a free trial period). This made things a lot easier and the added bonus that you can see the quality of images as you go along. As for battery i always had a spare at hand :) 

Good Luck

Dean

These are the Custom functions on my 1000D, I copied the ones of my 450D so I'm pretty sure they are the same, all for use with an interval timer:

Exposure level increments - doesn't matter

Flash sync - doesn't matter

Long exposure noise reduction - off

High ISO speed noise reduction - off

Auto lighting optimiser - disable

AF assist beam firing - off

AF during live view shooting - off

Mirror lock up - disable

shutter/AE lock buttonm - AF/AE lock

SET button when shooting - LCD monitor on off

LCD display when power on - Display

Add original decision data - off

Also:

Set mode to 'M' and exposure length to 'BULB'

Best ISO is probably 800

Menu 1:

Quality RAW (when shooting RAW things like exposure compensation, white balance etc. have no effect whatever)

Red eye off

Beep off

Shoot w/o card - personal preference

Review time  -- your choice, I go for 4 sec

Menu 2 - none of these matter, but don't set dust delete data, you use flats for this.

Menu 3 - don't matter, except choose RGB or White for histogram to suit preference

Menu 4 - don't have auto power off too short

LCD off/on - I have this on shutter/disp as if shutter you can take pictures by accident!

Hope that helps.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

These are the Custom functions on my 1000D, I copied the ones of my 450D so I'm pretty sure they are the same, all for use with an interval timer:

Exposure level increments - doesn't matter

Flash sync - doesn't matter

Long exposure noise reduction - off

High ISO speed noise reduction - off

Auto lighting optimiser - disable

AF assist beam firing - off

AF during live view shooting - off

Mirror lock up - disable

shutter/AE lock buttonm - AF/AE lock

SET button when shooting - LCD monitor on off

LCD display when power on - Display

Add original decision data - off

Also:

Set mode to 'M' and exposure length to 'BULB'

Best ISO is probably 800

Menu 1:

Quality RAW (when shooting RAW things like exposure compensation, white balance etc. have no effect whatever)

Red eye off

Beep off

Shoot w/o card - personal preference

Review time  -- your choice, I go for 4 sec

Menu 2 - none of these matter, but don't set dust delete data, you use flats for this.

Menu 3 - don't matter, except choose RGB or White for histogram to suit preference

Menu 4 - don't have auto power off too short

LCD off/on - I have this on shutter/disp as if shutter you can take pictures by accident!

Hope that helps.

I have the exact same settings on my 450D.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Trucker360 said:

i have it sitting beside me. oh well. figures. starting to figure out forums just suck and arent my thing. also figured out neither are computers, cameras, or telescopes. getting rid of all this junk

nowt funnier than folk :icon_scratch:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 05:34, michael8554 said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink..........

Michael

That implies the horse knows what the noise setting might be called. So, in this case, it's something new and foreign, and instead of a tad more help, you instead revert back to a child with comments. Do you feel like a big boy now?

A.  You didn't start a new post, you took over someone else's.

B.  The settings had already been posted by Stub Mandrell,  but you were too lazy to look in the Instruction Manual for "noise reduction".

And then that "can't be bothered, I'm giving up" comment in your Profile ?

We can't spoon-feed you all your life, time to grow up.

Michael

• Like 2

On 22/03/2021 at 09:30, Trucker360 said:

That implies the horse knows what the noise setting might be called. So, in this case, it's something new and foreign, and instead of a tad more help, you instead revert back to a child with comments. Do you feel like a big boy now?

If you look at the contents page of the manual it says that Menu operations and Settings are on page 38:

image.png.bbcc8a861b841289162c095cb358fd2a.png

This explains how to get to the settings I've listed below better than I can explain it.

If you can't follow those instructions, I suggest you either look for a video tutorial or try and find someone who can show you once lockdown ends.

On 25/03/2021 at 17:01, Stub Mandrel said:

If you look at the contents page of the manual it says that Menu operations and Settings are on page 38:

image.png.bbcc8a861b841289162c095cb358fd2a.png

This explains how to get to the settings I've listed below better than I can explain it.

If you can't follow those instructions, I suggest you either look for a video tutorial or try and find someone who can show you once lockdown ends.

What lockdown? I've looked at a vid. The problem I'm having is when I move the f stop, it only does that in av. Manual I can do shutter lock. Idk. I didn't see a thing for noise. I'm getting decent pics now, and that's about to get better when I get my tracker.