Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Binocular

Hello from sunny Bolton

Been an 'armchair' astronomer for quite some time, but recently I treated myself to some Helios Apollo Hi-Res 15x70 binoculars.

All I need to do now is get out of the house!

• Like 2

Hi, welcome to SGL :smile: Nice binoculars, you should have plenty to look at. Even better if you can get to a dark sky site - the views will be awesome!

Welcome to SGL! Bins are a great way to start in astronomy. As long as you don't expect to see images like in the magazines you won't be disappointed. There is so much to see through binoculars. If you haven't already, get yourself a binoclamp and a good monopod to help you hold your bins steady. At home you can use a sun lounger or zero G chair. Just don't fall asleep!?

Thanks for the welcomes, folks.

Stargazer33 - the monopod is on order. Really looking forward to getting out there.

Hello and welcome to SGL, see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I spent my first 30 years in this hobby with nothing more than a pair of 7x50s, so a pair of 15x70s will take you a long way. A monopod is better than a tripod (IMO) and provides a surprising amount of stability. I always use mine (1) sitting, (2) set up so that the monopod is leaning towards me slightly - this keeps the bins pressed gently, but firmly, against me.

Enjoy the journey.

Welcome to SGL!

Sorry it is winter where you are and hope you don't have too much rain to enjoy you binoculars.