Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars & Saturn 25/26 July Mak 150

Grimbles

Hi Everyone

I was out trying to dodge a load of high cloud a few nights ago, typically the cloud was all to the South of me and the North was crystal clear, but managed to get the following Mars and Saturn.  More surface detail on Mars than a few days earlier.

I did try Jupiter but it is now sat directly above a bungalow a few doors down with the roof releasing all the heat from the day so very poor imaging.

Skymax 150pro, ASI224MC, ADC, EQ5 Pro

Saturn 1500 frames stacked from 5400 at 30fps, ROI 304 x 300

Mars 2500 frames stacked from 10,000 at 93fps, ROI 304 x 300

36894689_Mars_022026_7_18.jpg.d0d3572a450efc873a13829b823d7f15.jpg

2086543866_Sat_232126_7_18.jpg.a687b25ac5ccf162bcdb8d3daf24d3d7.jpg

Thanks

Martin

On 28/07/2018 at 08:28, Owmuchonomy said:

They are excellent considering the altitude.

On 28/07/2018 at 08:34, Knighty2112 said:

Cracking shots! Well done! :) 

On 28/07/2018 at 11:54, Stephen Green said:

They are really nice images

Thanks for your kind comments everyone, I think the one thing I have learnt with this scope over the last year or two is not to try to push it too hard.  It is all too tempting to try to add barlows/powermates to try to get a larger image scale, but unless the seeing is exceptional the final result is worse. I therefore try to keep things at native Fl plus whatever the SCT focuser, flip mirror, ADC etc add

I know Maks can be a bit of a marmite scope but I really like mine, that said should funds ever allow a C14 would be nice ?, but I would still keep the Mak.

Thanks again

Martin

9 hours ago, Grimbles said:

Thanks for your kind comments everyone, I think the one thing I have learnt with this scope over the last year or two is not to try to push it too hard.  It is all too tempting to try to add barlows/powermates to try to get a larger image scale, but unless the seeing is exceptional the final result is worse. I therefore try to keep things at native Fl plus whatever the SCT focuser, flip mirror, ADC etc add

I know Maks can be a bit of a marmite scope but I really like mine, that said should funds ever allow a C14 would be nice ?, but I would still keep the Mak.

Thanks again

Martin

Now you see I tend to drift the other way. Under our UK climate conditions I understand the C14 is very troublesome when it comes to cool down and thermal stabilisation.  I sold my Mak years ago before I understood how to image planets. If the best targets were higher in the sky in the near future I would be severely tempted to get another Mak but the conditions are not great for several years. That said, your results are great.

Archived