Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Lunar Eclipse HAS BEGUN

MarsG76

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Scooot said:

Looking good. ;) out of interest what exposure and iso is that.

That was ISO3200, 1/5th Second, F11 at 800mm FL lens on a APS-C size sensor so FL equivalent of 1280mm.

6 hours ago, Silvien said:

I was looking forward to this eclipse during the whole week. Months ago I put this event in my diary...for two bloody months the weather was hot as hell and the sky was clear. And when does it has to turn for the worse? Of course, today! I am so disappointed right now....maybe next year, but I don't have high hopes...

I had the exact situation for the super blue blood moon on 31 January... man was I angry...

7 hours ago, Silvien said:

maybe next year

Unfortunately the next years one will only be a partial eclipse. I think the next total eclipse isn't happening till 2021... and I'm not sure what parts of the world will see it... all I know is that it'll be visible here in the middle of the night.

Cloudy here in Oxfordshire. Maybe a hint of red behind the cloud at one point. A patch of red that gradually turned yellow as the eclipse passed.  I was hoping for a classy shot of the eclipsed moon reflected in the Thames. I did had a nice chat for an hour or so with one of my neighbours who had ambled over to the river to see what he could see.   As I waited I amused myself by taking some long exposure shots of pleasure boats full of revellers having a party going up and down the river. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

Unfortunately the next years one will only be a partial eclipse. I think the next total eclipse isn't happening till 2021... and I'm not sure what parts of the world will see it... all I know is that it'll be visible here in the middle of the night.

I saw somewhere a list when and where will be eclipse in the forseeable future in the UK and made some notes:

Total eclipse:

21/01/2019 02:36-07:48(UTC)- all visible in the UK, greatest: 05:12 (I'm planning to book a holiday for the next day so I can be outside most of the night)

Partial:

16/07/2019 18:43-0:17(UTC)- visible from Moon rise, greatest: 21:30

Penumbral(not as interesting as the total but good if you want to look at something else which needs dark skies as the moon will be dim)

10/01/2020 17:07-21:12(UTC)-all visible, greatest: 19:09

05/07/2020 03:07-05:52(UTC)-eclipse at moon set, greatest:0:04

The penumbral eclipse is not really visible, the only thing what you can see is how faint it is and how it will be brighter slowly. Not a typical eclipse where you can see phase changes.

This is what I found so far.

I don't know about the 2021 eclipse yet, but I'll have a look. 

13 minutes ago, Scooot said:

This is 5:20am 21/1/19 here. The earths shadow does completely cover the moon but it’s not in the centre like this one. Should be good though for those that can see it. :) 

2EF081C7-6776-40DF-BDDC-6CB2C6117ED7.thumb.png.8faa12eaf20207b6c3b57a0483fdb4b1.png

I would be satisfied with this "lite" version if the sky is gonna be clear :D

Archived