Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Lunar Eclipse HAS BEGUN

MarsG76

Hello astronomers,

Just to let you know, that the longest lunar eclipse of the 21st century has started... we down here see the beginning and you all (cloud less skies permitting) will see the conclusion.

So far, at 4:45am, the moon has been bitten. Through the binoculars the bitten part has a reddish hue to it.. of course it does.. the Earths shadowy bite drew blood...

Clear skies.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop rubbing it in!?

Not looking great weather wise here in the UK, as clouds rush in from the West with heavy rain forecast. Some of us might get lucky!

In Central Scotland, it's currently cloudy, looking like rain by moonrise, continued thru rest of the night. I will keep checking between 10pm and 11pm, as I glimpsed the Moon thru clouds at about 1am last night, but not holding my breath.

thick cloud here too. I was talking to my son who's in Malta via whatsaap and I asked him if he could see the moon. He could but didn't know about the eclipse so I asked him to take a pic and send it. So from his phone with a bit of editing. A brownish Red, better than nothing :) 

307493_LunaEclipseMala.thumb.jpg.2290589b2130d65071b8692af61ea971.jpg

Totality happened at around 5:44 AEST. Looking at it through the binoculars just before deep totality looked awesome... it was the deep orange rust color but with a greeny hue across it.

The lunar features, maria, ejecta plains and high lands, were almost highlighted with contrast from the slightly brighter edge of the moon... what an awesome view... I think it actually looked better than totality, which was at 6:18AEST, which was dark brown and due to dimness, the features were starting to wash away... I think that about 30-40 minutes before mid-totality looked better and more interesting than the actual deep totality.

The moon moved below the western mountains at 6:25am, when I called it a night.....

What a awesome night, started with Mars Opposition overhead and ended with the last lunar eclipse until May 2021.

10 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

For now all I can share is a screen shot of the DSLR with my phone... tomorrow when I extract the photos off the camera I'll post the best ones...

IMG_4433.JPG

Looking good. ;) out of interest what exposure and iso is that.

I was looking forward to this eclipse during the whole week. Months ago I put this event in my diary...for two bloody months the weather was hot as hell and the sky was clear. And when does it has to turn for the worse? Of course, today! I am so disappointed right now....maybe next year, but I don't have high hopes...

Well, I am now at Kefalonia, weather was bad (just like in Serbia, this summer is horrible), but the skies cleared up for the eclipse. Seeing mediocre and then deteriorating (Mars is a boiling bubble), but eclipse was nice, the collage I attach is afocal Samsung S8 through Pan 24 in Tak FC -100 DF.

eclipse.jpg

Archived