Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200PDS+HEQ5 guidescope recommendations

Hi all,

I'm finally taking the leap into guiding and am looking for guidescope recommendations. I have a SW 200PDS, HEQ5Pro mount and an EOS1200d for imaging. I also have an ASI290MC which I've been using for planetary.  

I purchased an adapter to attach my ASI290MC to the SW's 9x50 finder but the threads are a nightmare and I'm struggling to focus.

I'm conscious of overloading the mount so something lightweight which doubles as a finderscope which I can just attach my ASI290MC to would be ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this rig? If so, would I need anything else like dovetails etc.

Thanks in advance

the ASI290 isnt great for guiding. i've got one too and was going to use it but luckily grabbed a second hand asi120 mono and the 9x50 is what im using too and when i spoke to a well known seller they said the 9x50 is quite a well respected guide scope so stick with it rather than upgrading for the sake of it

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, PaulR1 said:

I used the finderscope with an adaptor for a while but found it a bit too wobbly for my liking.

IMHO I wouldn't recommend using the standard SW finderscope bracket if you are using a finder/guider, it far far too much play in it.  I use a cheap 9x50 finderscope for guiding, But I mount mine in a pair 3-point guidescope rings.  Works a treat and no flexure.

Archived