Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stepping beyond

It's been a while with the weather n all

4 nights , too many clouds and I finally collected some quality data after trashing over half of it . Lrgb composite,  my rendition of the " Ring nebula" Track n stack   .  I've got to get a handle on this new software {Aip4win} It's still a work in progress increased 200% , I don't think it's too bad for my 1st Lrgb" Ring nebula."  It's a learning process for sure , The " All seeing eye" ! Now to figure out how to get all the stars into my lrgb image , I went TO  processing and they turned blue then over half  vanished. Help ? I rotated the lrgb after I blew it up and after I saw the stars disappear. asi174MM cooled/efw mini 5 pos -10c 20s lxd55 mount.

LRGB m57 1st run Pscs2 2nd.jpg

Median st reg cal %cLumtLight20secframe12018.jpg

Edited by stepping beyond
  • Like 5

I think you have the resolution nicely and could use that later as a luminance layer, but I don't think the colour reflects reality. I'd try to create the wider field with credible colour and then use the high res images as luminance over that (speaking strictly off the top of my head...)

Olly

• Like 1

Yes ,  Olly the color is something else but, I'm trying  my best to figure out how to get the colors to go where I want them to.  Its a challenge and I'll try what you suggested Thank you Ronnie. 

Nice smoke ring... personally I prefer the grey scale image.

Edited by MarsG76
Nce-->Nice
  • Like 1

MarsG76 , My big downfall is getting used to newer processing software to get the colors right and formulating a workflow that'll work with images taken with the camera slightly off each night that I took the data . I've got my camera and focuser marked but, looking through the data you can tell it's been rotated slightly to the left. 

If you have the possibility to image a few nights in a row, try to leave the camera attached to the scope. I try to do that, and just remove the scope with camera attached, each night. It makes it eadier to set up again the next night, and the camera stays aligned.

Btw, if the luminance is much brighter than the colour data, it tends to wash out colours in lrgb combination. Red become pink, and deep blue becomes pale blue. If you stretch the luminance less, you'll see that colours become richer in lrgb combination.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GWalles
      This is currently a work in progress. Playing around with Photoshop CC to try and extract more detail from this image. This image is not as cropped as the others I have posted.
    • By RRT26
      Taken tonight via my SkyScanner 100 scope with a 6mm Expanse eyepiece. Night mode turned on my Samsung smartphone and images taken with it through the scope.

• By MikeODay
      A new High Dynamic Range image of the Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) captured over a number of nights in mid-September 2017 and processed with PixInsight using the DrizzleIntegration and PhotometricColorCalibration tools.

The Silver Coin or Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) in the Sculptor constellation.
      ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper ) 
      On the 23rd of September 1783, sitting before her telescope in the field behind the house she shared with her brother William at Datchet, near Slough in the south of England, Miss Caroline Herschel "swept" the sky searching for new comets and never before seen star clusters and nebulae.   On this occasion, way down in the sky, not far above the Southern horizon, in an area of the southern sky that Nicolas de Lacaille had called the “Apparatus Sculptoris” or “the sculptor’s studio", Miss Herschel saw and noted down a very bright and large nebula where one had never before been recorded.  This event was later recognised by her brother, Sir William Herschel, as the discovery, by Caroline Herschel, of the nebula he listed in his catalogue as H V.1.   In later years, her 'beloved nephew', Sir John Herschel, William's son, would record this 'nebula' as entry # 138 in his General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars ( eventually becoming the 253th entry in the New General Catalogue, NGC 253 ).
      Whilst relatively close to us compared to the billions of far more distant galaxies in the Universe, the great size of the “Sculptor Galaxy” and the huge distances involved are still hard to comprehend.  To put this into some perspective, the light that is just now reaching one edge of the great disc left the opposite edge when the Earth was in the grip of last great Ice Age 70,000 years ago and the light we now see has been travelling towards us for over 11 million years.
      More information on the discovery of the Sculptor Galaxy by Miss Caroline Herschel, as well as the later observations by both Sir William and Sir John Herschel, can be found in my  Stargazerslounge blog, “The Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 )”
      This image was captured over a number of nights in the middle of September 2017 and processed on the 23rd; exactly 234 years from the day of its discovery by Caroline Herschel.  
      With over 18 hours of total exposure, this HDR image attempts to capture the huge range of brightness levels; from the brightest stars and the core of the galaxy through to the numerous 'tiny' galaxies scattered throughout the image ( the total magnitude range is from around mag 8.8, for the brightest star, to 22+ for the faintest stars and galaxies visible in the image).
      Mike O'Day
      Capture Details:
      Telescope: 
      Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 )
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: 
      TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2
      Camera:Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )..
      Capture ( 16, 17, 19,20,22 Sept. 2017 )
      8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO800
      273 x 240s + 10 each @ 2s to 120s
      total around 18hrs 
      Processing
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks.
      Drizzle Integration in 8 sets.
      HDR combination 
      PhotometricColorCalibration
      Pixinsight & Photoshop
      23 Sept. & 8 Oct 2017
      Image Plate Solution ( this cropped image )
      ===============================================
      Resolution ........ 1.324 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... -180.00 deg ( South ^, East > )
      Field of view ..... 57' 57.5" x 38' 40.1"
      Image center ...... RA: 00 47 32.809  Dec: -25 17 04.48
      ===============================================
      Designations and alternative names for the Sculptor Galaxy:

CH10  ( Caroline Herschel # 10 )
      H V.1  ( William Herschel,  Class V ( very large Nebulae ) # 1  )
      H 61, H 2345  ( John Herschel observations identifiers )
      GC 138.   ( John Herschel’s - A General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars # 138 )
      NGC 253  ( John Herschel’s catalogue updated by Dreyer - The New General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars # 253 )
      Caldwell 65
      Leda 2789
      ESO 479-29
      Sculptor Galaxy
      Silver Coin Galaxy
      Silver Dollar Galaxy

Annotated image of the Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) - showing the brighter stars ( from the Tycho-2 catalogue ) as well the galaxies recorded in the Principal Galaxies Catalogue ( PGC ).  I have yet to complete identifying and annotating the very large number of ‘tiny’ galaxies in the image.
      ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )

• By MikeODay
      No doubt many of you already know about this but I came accross this free ebook and I thought some of you might be interested ...

The book has 188 pages and includes around 70 odd black and white images of nebulae and clusters captured in the few years at the end of the 1800s and early 1900s.

One example is plate 55, the Trifid Nebula

The ebook can be downloaded for free from :  http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36470

• By Ardennes
      Hello Everyone,
        My name is Forest Fernandez. I am a hobbyist Photographer that just started getting interested in Astrophotography. I started last year in 2016 with my current set up, a Canon 5D Mk3 w/ a Rokinon 24mm on Tripod with a shutter release.  In my about me section you can go to my facebook where i have some of my photographs that i've taken.  I will try to include some of them in this post as well. I went out every night last summer to take photos,  really diving in to try to learn as much as i could. I fell in love! I am now interested in buying a Telescope that i can adapt my Canon 5D Mk3 to.   Ideally:  I'm looking for a telescope that will allow me to photograph Nebulae specifically.  Galaxies would be great, but i know that only one or two are visible to beginner to intermediate telescopes. So far this is what i've learned that i need from researching telescopes:   LARGE Aperture, more light i can pick up the better. Telescope that can pick up low light objects in the sky, i.e. Nebulae. Equatorial Mount, for the Photography element. Dobsinian i've been told is the way to go for low light Nebulae's and such.   ADVICE: I am looking for advice from experienced astrophotographers here on the following things:   - Any other factors i need to take into consideration to get what i'm looking for. That would be great. - I'd like to be able to make decently sized prints of these photographs, but i know that often times lower budget telescopes don't have great print quality. Any advice? - Telescope suggestions to pair with my Canon 5d Mk3. I have roughly a budget of 3,000$.   I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's input. Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.