IC 1396 HA

Astroscot2

I took this image almost 2 weeks ago, ben playing around with the calibration frames to see what does what to the image. Need to look at the halos arounf the brigher stars, does anyone have agood process for removing these?

The image is 8 x 15 min exposures - polar alignment and focus were slightly off. Taken with the starlight H35 camera and through the FSQ. Image is bias calibrated

post-12757-1338773483_thumb.jpg

Brilliant image.

The only way I can think of for removing the halos would be to have a less exposed image to hand, and cut and paste the appropriate section of that into place.

Either that or exclude the halo'd areas from the curves function a bit, as its often the stretching that accentuates them.

That said, I dont think they detract from the image at all, rather they show the brilliance and relative nearness of the star in question.

TJ

Brilliant image.

The only way I can think of for removing the halos would be to have a less exposed image to hand, and cut and paste the appropriate section of that into place.

Either that or exclude the halo'd areas from the curves function a bit, as its often the stretching that accentuates them.

That said, I dont think they detract from the image at all, rather they show the brilliance and relative nearness of the star in question.

TJ

Thanks TJ, Ive tried using curves with some success, a star mask made from a copy of the image may work also but thats the theory. I need to look into it more

Brilliant image Mark and a well deserved POW. I have tried all sorts of things to deal with this sort of halo and they all cause problems. Creating a star mask using a a less stretched image is very difficult to make seamless.

I go for the naughty, crude method of using the smudge tool, with a bit of care it works very well but is tedious. If it's good enough for Adam Block it's good enough for me!

Archived