Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1396 Elephant's Trunk Nebula HaOiiiSiiLRGB

Petergoodhew

A 2-pane mosaic.  I shunned the traditional HST palette for a more natural palette aligning with emission wavelengths, so Ha+SII to Red, OIII to blue, and a blend of Ha (25%) and OIII (75%) for green.

49 hours total integration, captured on the APM TMB in Spain.

IC1396 Final+LRGB.jpg

6 minutes ago, iansmith said:

The colour palette and lack of noise make this a really good image. The trunk seems to float above the background nebulosity.

Thanks Ian.  49 hours of data helps keep the noise down (plus some delicate noise reduction where needed). I tried to get a natural, but 3D feel when processing this.  Glad you like the colour too!

Not only is the palette appealing--its the best quality trunk image I have ever seen.  Wow  Why are there so few stars?  When I did the trunk that was the single biggest annoyance for me--so many little stars that seemed to look like noise.   This is what I was after.  I thought it impossible.  nice

Rodd

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Not only is the palette appealing--its the best quality trunk image I have ever seen.  Wow  Why are there so few stars?  When I did the trunk that was the single biggest annoyance for me--so many little stars that seemed to look like noise.   This is what I was after.  I thought it impossible.  nice

Rodd

Cheers Rodd. To control the stars I tone-mapped the narrowband data to remove the stars, and lightly stretched the RGB data to keep the stars tamed, adding it back over the NB data in photoshop lighten mode. It's probably unorthodox but it means you can control just how big they get.

1 minute ago, Petergoodhew said:

Cheers Rodd. To control the stars I tone-mapped the narrowband data to remove the stars, and lightly stretched the RGB data to keep the stars tamed, adding it back over the NB data in photoshop lighten mode. It's probably unorthodox but it means you can control just how big they get.

Tone mapping is something I do not know about--I don't thionk its a PI think.  Is it different than the SHO palette?

Rodd

Just now, Rodd said:

Tone mapping is something I do not know about--I don't thionk its a PI think.  Is it different than the SHO palette? 

Rodd

I don't know if/how you could do it in PI. It's simply a (laborious) technique for removing the stars. It's nothing to do with the choice of palette. SHO is, I think Hubble - or close to it - where H is assigned to green - whereas I assigned H and S to red.

This is excellent, as others have said. Many images have had the Ha stretched so much that it produces a flat surround which kills the 'rim' of the trunk. Here you've preserved the rim of the trunk which is, after all, the defining feature of the target.

The fact remains that there are reflection features in the target which NB will not find and the Ultimate World Championship Trunk Nebula Image will be the one which brings them in while preserving the delicacy and tiny stars of the NB version. But this has the NB nailed, as in nailed.

Bravo!

Olly

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

This is excellent, as others have said. Many images have had the Ha stretched so much that it produces a flat surround which kills the 'rim' of the trunk. Here you've preserved the rim of the trunk which is, after all, the defining feature of the target.

The fact remains that there are reflection features in the target which NB will not find and the Ultimate World Championship Trunk Nebula Image will be the one which brings them in while preserving the delicacy and tiny stars of the NB version. But this has the NB nailed, as in nailed.

Bravo!

Olly

thanks Olly - one day I'll strive for the Ultimate World Championship version!

58 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

To my mind, this is a wonderful image. It has an mysterious, eerie quality that I can't quite explain but it is unlike any other image of this target I have seen.

Thanks Tim - I know what you mean.  I defied convention and put it on the horizontal (a) because its easier to see on screens, and (b) because to me it looks like a monster swimming through all of that dust rather than an elephant's trunk!

Archived