Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Eclipse - should've put money on this....

daz

Just now, Highburymark said:

Disappointing here in Menorca - Moon very dim and showing little colour at all - long line of people at our hotel hoping for a view but nothing to see - Mars still showing no real detail - thankfully Saturn saved the day 

That's a shame.  Given clear skies I'd have thought you'd get at least as good a view as me.  Possibly better given that you're further east.

James

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JamesF said:

A quick sample from earlier in the eclipse:

L_0007_ISO200_10s__31C.thumb.JPG.db83d5ed3a4cd1d8299ed40d98a60afb.JPG

James

Beautiful James  ??  Caught it with long exposure in my ASC but nothing visible to the eye.

2 hours ago, DRT said:

Very nice, Jeremy. I do think a Tak 102 deserves to travel in a cream interior ? 

Do I hear a "Show us the colour of the  interior that your Tak travels in" thread starting?  ?

There are some lovely pictures out there showing the progress of the eclipse.

But- It makes my blood boil that we missed it because of a weather front.

At least we have January's event.

Now here's a question.

Does any person know if any of our Lunar spacecraft or anything orbiting the Moon. Ever photographed the Earth eclipsing the Sun?

Shame to read about all these bad weather examples and what a beautiful picture! I’ve saved it to my phone, hope you don’t mind James :) 

The skies where clear in Aarhus, Denmark and I set up my scope in the city center. I planned to make images as well, but there where around 100 people to watch it and most of them asked to watch through my scopes. So I had a queue of 3 hours and got to meet loads of new people and some Astro professionals from the local university as well! It was simply the best night of my hobby so far. Here are some pics (I’m the guy with the big thumb in front of the scope :) )

FFBD44C7-5EA2-4ACF-A68F-5BF19FF227A0.thumb.jpeg.4558463c9133b9ea5fd79d282ca1b051.jpeg

2EBD6576-9028-4DF5-9947-5CB771895571.thumb.jpeg.373173adc160e8d29899241cc4ba0043.jpeg

I had to add an eyepiece to my st80 guidescope as well to keep the queue moving haha

D99D888A-06A0-4EAC-BC56-10AF84F15573.thumb.jpeg.b1d5bef7664f195502ffe69e7970a6e1.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Obi Wan Ken00bi said:

Shame to read about all these bad weather examples and what a beautiful picture! I’ve saved it to my phone, hope you don’t mind James :)

You're very welcome.  And well done on allowing so many people to get a good view of the event.

James

I was surprised at the number of people that turned out for the eclipse here in Gran Canaria. Many not really knowing what they were looking for.

They were impressed once the Moon climbed into a dark sky and even more so once totality ended. Then they could appreciate what the eclipse had actually done to the Moon. 

Not a bad eclipse in the end. Back to a milky sky today so even the weather played ball.

Here's what we got in Essex last night. That and wet clothing, mainly the rain but might also have been due to this thing coming down about 1/4 of a mile away!

IMG_7196.thumb.png.ad40827c173fbc83bc17f63c38b6844d.png

As I posted in the other thread I was on holiday in Switzerland and was bemoaning the lack of telescope, but I did see it and got a really good view across the time of totality.  This is only on my mobile phone ?

20180727_220053.jpg

Archived