Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

daz

Lunar Eclipse - should've put money on this....

We've just had frustrating non-rain, a few big spots then nothing. A few rumbles around but nothing here.

Wasn't enough to wet anything here!!  Just solid cloud now.

If I don't get hit by lightning I might be able to see some of it...

819197173_ScreenShot2018-07-27at18_39_06.png.a81f7e4c2d3032bca8355bc4415aae5b.png

Well, the black clouds have dispersed without rain, leaving partially clear skies, so just loaded the Takahashi FS102 and the WO EZTouch mount into the car. Setting off for the Chester AS observing meeting. ?

B10DDFEC-0F42-4837-BDD2-AB74F789D5D2.JPG

FA46A5EA-4C24-45CD-B60D-8B568534C827.JPG

• Like 1

My current view in the direction of moonrise.  I'm just hoping we don't get any cloud forming as everything cools when the Sun sets.

eclipse-moonrise.jpg

James

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

My current view in the direction of moonrise.  I'm just hoping we don't get any cloud forming as everything cools when the Sun sets.

Crikey: looks like Wiveliscombe has gone all Mediterranean in this heat! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Well, the black clouds have dispersed without rain, leaving partially clear skies, so just loaded the Takahashi FS102 and the WO EZTouch mount into the car. Setting off for the Chester AS observing meeting. ?

B10DDFEC-0F42-4837-BDD2-AB74F789D5D2.JPG

FA46A5EA-4C24-45CD-B60D-8B568534C827.JPG

Very nice, Jeremy. I do think a Tak 102 deserves to travel in a cream interior ? 

• Like 1

My eastward horizon last night. The sky clarity is even better today.

Just on my camera phone. Can see Mars  and Saturn too.20180726_225541.thumb.jpg.e844405eedb9057bd5d4b6476f3c71e5.jpg

Well, I've spent the last hour or so wondering where the Moon is.  I''ve just caught sight of it peering out of a large bank of cloud that has appeared from nowhere :(

James

I think the clouds here might just be parting.

1484859294_Screenshotfrom2018-07-2721-13-58.thumb.png.4eaba33a250fb06eaf48da794f07b6a8.png

Edited by Gina

We did have some real rain eventually which has cleared a lot of the humidity out of the air. Got doors open which is letting some cool air through.

Still too much cloud to see the moon though.

I can see it now.  Incredibly dark -- so much so that I can't realign my OTA and "finder".  I have a nice mono image through my 174MM and 200mm Canon lens, but absolutely nothing through the main scope.

I did align them both yesterday, but suffered a small issue with the mount during today that meant I had to remount the OTA :(

James

I had broken cloud an hour ago so a bit of hope. Now I’m outside sat looking at thick total cloud cover. At least there is a cool breeze and not much on TV. 

So here it is. First glimpse through the haze at 21:32. I expected to catch Mars first and use it as a guide.

But I caught the Moon first. Still a light sky and the Moon was only 5 or 6 deg above the horizon. 

Hot off the press:

20180727_214058.thumb.jpg.19369d620668192ef1a20280505c6048.jpg

• Like 2

Ya, gorgeous last night: Venus, Jupiter, Saturn then Mars strung out on a line and beautiful naked eye in a cloudless dark blue sky... then pouring rain for the 1st time in weeks tonight!

Back on track, here.  The eastern limb is just starting to regain a white colour now.

James

• Like 1

A quick sample from earlier in the eclipse:

L_0007_ISO200_10s__31C.thumb.JPG.db83d5ed3a4cd1d8299ed40d98a60afb.JPG

James

• Like 12

I'd been keeping half an eye on the weather all day, and it wasn't looking hopeful to say the least!

However, there were some gaps in the cloud after 8:30pm, so I decided to follow my original plan and head to a local beach (25 mins walk away), for its uncluttered southeastern horizon, just before moonrise.  As I neared the beach, however, the cloud was thickening it took only a brief look around to see how hopeless it was. I immediately turned back for home. At least I avoided most of the forecast rain.

Regards, Mike.

Disappointing here in Menorca - Moon very dim and showing little colour at all - long line of people at our hotel hoping for a view but nothing to see - Mars still showing no real detail - thankfully Saturn saved the day