Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Eclipse - should've put money on this....

daz

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've cancelled my trip to Cornwall tomorrow. I'll see whatever I can see, which probably won't be much, here in Oxfordshire. 

Pity, there's the potential to get a good shot of the eclipsed moon near the horizon, with an interesting foreground perhaps, and a bright Mars in the same frame. 

But .... hey ..... we've only had 50 days or something of good skies. It was just bound to go pear shaped for an interesting astronomical event. This is Britain for goodness sake!!!!! 

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Do diet ones weigh less ? :grin:

Dave

:D

I so wish I'd thought of that when my wife came back from the supermarket with them.

But for the fact that they don't slide up and down the bar (not actually a problem in this instance anyhow, as it happens), they seem  to work quite well as a counterweight.  I reckon three cans come in very close  to the 1kg of the supplied counterweight that I decided I didn't want to carry on the plane in addition to all the other gubbins I had packed.

James

I'm stuck in Gran Canarias. I know, I know, but it's only 30 deg here so cool by UK standards... 

Anyway, the troublesome "marine layer" has been particularly humid for a few days. Clothes left on the line over night have been damp in the morning. The Moon and its cohort of planets have been awash in a milky sky. I've been concerned about eclipse viewing potential. 

Firstly, our longitude is 15 deg West,  so our Moon rises about an hour later than in the UK but into a fairly bright sky. 

I paid particular attention to the sky this evening. The air is much clearer today as noted by daytime conditions. So this evening's Moon was nice and bright. Mars looking glorious too. Last night Mars was almost lost in sky glow. 

I walked up to the coastal path tonight on my way back to our room. Took some pictures of the Moon glinting on the sea. A beautiful sight that my phone camera couldn't capture. There were others enjoying the view and trying to take pictures and I struck up conversation with a young family. 

They knew about the eclipse but not when or the circumstances. Nor did they know they could see 4 planets. Mum was sure that Mars was the landing lights of a plane coming in  to land as it's in about the same area of sky where we see a succession of planes turning Right Base for Las Palmas.

So my pre eclipse session turned into a bit of an outreach session. 

"see you tomorrow then" we're their parting words. 

We'll I'll be there...! :)

Still looking good here in Gran Canaria.

A lot of wind before lunch. Brollies flying around and the like. 

The sky is deep blue. Much lower humidity today and the wind now reduced to the usual breeze.

Shudda brought a proper camera!

At least it should be good for your garden , Gina :)

I'm thinking that the transparency is actually improving even further here.  The horizon looks to be more distinct than it was.  Can't see Africa yet though, so it's not as good as it could be (apparently the Altas Mountains are visible from here on a really good day).

James

18 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Do diet ones weigh less ? :grin:

Dave

Yes :grin:. We use the diet / real coke in physics lessons to demo density.

Back OT i's typically looking dodgy for tonight. But hey, this is britain, right :BangHead:.

Archived