Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helical Focuser question

Assuming you have enough in focus for the focal length of the helical and you buy a good quality helical then yes it would work. That said, for a good helical, you might be able to get a good dual speed like the Baader for not much more.

• Like 1

The thing I found that made a huge difference to focusing on my scope was putting a variable speed motor drive on it. It meant I didnt even have to touch the scope and could quite easily fine tune it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/07/2018 at 11:29, Geoff Lister said:

I fitted the same Lacerta retro-fit unit to my 10" Dob. It was easy to change and makes focus much easier at higher magnifications.

Geoff

I agree - it's also available in the UK from 365 Astro (cheaper postage than getting it from Germany):

https://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Dual-Speed-1-10-Microfocus-Upgrade-Kit-for-Skywatcher-Crayford-Focusers.html

My Helios 203mm f5 Newtonian has a single speed rack & pinion focuser. I added a Chinese helical focuser (apparently intended for guidescopes) which screwed into place, replacing the 1.25" adapter end of the 2"/1.25" adapter. 

As indicated, the helical focuser just screwed into place, and cost me about £20.  It works well to give a fine adjustment, except that the grease in it seems a bit stiff in the cold, and was far cheaper and less troubling than changing the whole focuser for a 2-speed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Geoff. I haven't done anything about fine tuning my focuser yet. I am still wondering about those Chinese helical types that you're using.

Could you possibly send a photo of the one you have, it may be the answer I'm looking for on my 8" f5.9.

Thanks Ray.

21 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Thanks very much I will check it out. 

• 1 year later...
On 19/08/2018 at 10:57, Cosmic Geoff said:

My Helios 203mm f5 Newtonian has a single speed rack & pinion focuser. I added a Chinese helical focuser (apparently intended for guidescopes) which screwed into place, replacing the 1.25" adapter end of the 2"/1.25" adapter. 

As indicated, the helical focuser just screwed into place, and cost me about £20.  It works well to give a fine adjustment, except that the grease in it seems a bit stiff in the cold, and was far cheaper and less troubling than changing the whole focuser for a 2-speed.  

These forum posts are timeless. I am researching adding a helical fine focuser to my Newt, so it's been great to find that someone has previously done so. I was cautious about the intended 'guidescope use' and also whether it actually fitted correctly.👍