SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGP - Platesolving nuisance

souls33k3r

This is exactly the behaviour I was seeing at some time with the EQ8. When I reinstalled my system I uploaded the latest EQASCOM....... I found that reverting back to V128K of EQASCOM sorted the issue with meridian flip...... with the latest EQASCOM version my plate solving was failing every time at the stage that you experienced.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/ - Try downloading and installing V128k from this link......

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RayD said:

Are you using EQMOD and, if so, do you definitely have your alignment method set to dialogue mode?  Also make sure you are not hitting your limits as this will prevent you getting back to the right spot.  Finally I would run a check on cone error to make sure you don't have huge amounts.

Just make sure that everything is clear manually.  I struggle with my TAK on my AZ-EQ6 when using the EFW3 as the cables hit the tripod on both sides of the flip, so I can't leave it to run on its own.

Yes mate i'm using EDMOD and definitely made the change  the alignment method set to "Dialogue Mode". With regards to "Limits" i need to read up on what that is first :) Same goes for cone error (sorry) :D But do you think that seeing my stars in the other thread were a bit wonky in the corners that this could be causing the platesolving to fail?

Cables are all clear mate

6 minutes ago, swag72 said:

This is exactly the behaviour I was seeing at some time with the EQ8. When I reinstalled my system I uploaded the latest EQASCOM....... I found that reverting back to V128K of EQASCOM sorted the issue with meridian flip...... with the latest EQASCOM version my plate solving was failing every time at the stage that you experienced.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/ - Try downloading and installing V128k from this link......

Ah, cheers for that Sara. I will most definitely go back home and install the version you mentioned. Will report back at my next outing.

Can't thank your kind self and @RayD for prompt replies.

3 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Yes mate i'm using EDMOD and definitely made the change  the alignment method set to "Dialogue Mode". With regards to "Limits" i need to read up on what that is first :) Same goes for cone error (sorry) :D But do you think that seeing my stars in the other thread were a bit wonky in the corners that this could be causing the platesolving to fail?

Cables are all clear mate

No I wouldn't think that amount of wonkiness would make any difference to plate solving.  

5 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Ah ok, thought i should ask just in case if it did. Ruling out all the other factors :) Cheers matey

You'll be surprised how out of focus the stars can be and how elongated to get plate solve to work...... I would put my money on the version of EQASCOM

5 minutes ago, swag72 said:

You'll be surprised how out of focus the stars can be and how elongated to get plate solve to work...... I would put my money on the version of EQASCOM

Awesome Sara. Will definitely install the version you mentioned. Cheers for that.

Right so tonight is the night when i can test this once again. My intended target has already cross the meridian for now (the next crossing is at around 4am) but i'll try and choose a different target and test this. 

I have installed as per Sara's suggestions v1.28k of EQMOD.

@RayD, you mentioned that i should make sure that i'm not hitting the limits, i assume this setting is in the EQMOD "Mount Limit"? if so, this option is not ticked.

8 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

@RayD, you mentioned that i should make sure that i'm not hitting the limits, i assume this setting is in the EQMOD "Mount Limit"? if so, this option is not ticked.

I've always had limits unticked..... one less thing to go wrong when it's all working of course ?

So test half completed. 

Plate solving was indeed better with the v128K. I was originally on v129a.

At the end of the session i went to my last target which was supposed to cross the meridian when i was finishing up with my imaging run but unfortunately it had already crossed so this is still pending.

Well last night after all I said would SGP do an auto Meridian flip, would it hell! Ended up having to do it manually then platesolve with APT and AT.

I really do find SGP temperamental sometimes, especially when nothing has changed.

3 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Well last night after all I said would SGP do an auto Meridian flip, would it hell! Ended up having to do it manually then platesolve with APT and AT.

I really do find SGP temperamental sometimes, especially when nothing has changed.

Hi John

At the risk of high jacking the thread (apologies to the OP), can I suggest that you describe your mount driver ascom settings and SGP settings, perhaps with screenshots, and post these on the SGP forum asking for other CEM60 users to comment & help.

When meridian flipping, SGP just commands the mount to slew and each mount’s driver then responds. Different drivers require the mount to flip (ie slew to the opposite side of the meridian) at different points: some before the meridian, some after crossing, some require a ‘window’ to be defined within which a flip will be permitted. I recall that in the past  iOptron ascom driver has had to be updated to allow meridian flips, for example.

In my 5 years’ experience of using SGP more often than not it is third-party driver settings or equipment or incorrect settings within SGP that is the root cause of an issue rather than some defect within SGP (but I do acknowledge that problems do occur from time to time as the software develops or new hardware is introduced to the market).

I appreciate that this is very frustrating for you - we have all been there.

I am sure an iOptron user will be able to help you.

Thanks Barry, I will do, the strange thing is that on my first ever use of it, it platesolved perfectly, then SGP had their problems which would not allow it to plate solve, but last night it did plate solve 50% of the time and I knew I was bang on target as I had already platesolved with APT and Astrotortilla, it's just that SGP would normally platesolve before starting/resuming a sequence from the previous nights imaging.

I did have problems with my SW AZ-EQ6-GT with SGP, but thought I had resolved it with the new mount.

For it to work 50% of the time and other times not last night seems strange, mind you it was still 50% more than it did with the SW, everything else about the CEM is just beautiful, I had one image left to capture and it clouded over, but you woudl never have thought so as the guide graph was still perfect, probably similar to your 10 Micron.

I'll probably start a new thread when I get a chance rather than thread hijack further.

22 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

@swag72 i'm very pleased to report that plate solving worked the first time after the flip. It was "Magical" :D well pleased.

Thank you all for your great help :)

I'm thrilled that it worked ???????? I did mention on the SGP forum that there was a bug in later versions of EQASCOM but it fell on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

I'm thrilled that it worked ???????? I did mention on the SGP forum that there was a bug in later versions of EQASCOM but it fell on deaf ears.

So am i. It was a real pain and like i said more annoying than anything when it didn't work. It's such a shame that it did because a simple fix like you suggested just worked every time. I can promise you, i will be a massive advocate of the solution and will credit you every time ;)

I do wonder how many people this affects...... they just think they can't flip and that's that ...... shame no-one felt it was worth looking into it, it's an issue that can affect so many people starting out and they'll struggle to know where to start with it. I only twigged it because I'd changed computers and had uploaded everything new onto it.

Really glad it has worked for you mate.  It's frustrating when it all goes belly up.

I suspect it may be kit or other installed software dependent as I run V200q and SG Pro with no issues with plate solving at all, before or after a flip. Nowt odd as astro related software, that's for sure!!  

8 hours ago, swag72 said:

I do wonder how many people this affects...... they just think they can't flip and that's that ...... shame no-one felt it was worth looking into it, it's an issue that can affect so many people starting out and they'll struggle to know where to start with it. I only twigged it because I'd changed computers and had uploaded everything new onto it.

I guess most of us just put up with it and get on with the session. Some of us i guess don't even bother upgrading to the newer version if the older version works just as well. I for one was ok without the meridian flip since i am sitting next to my kit any way but it did start to get a bit annoying that it wasn't doing what it should so glad i asked and got the brilliant help :)

8 hours ago, RayD said:

Really glad it has worked for you mate.  It's frustrating when it all goes belly up.

I suspect it may be kit or other installed software dependent as I run V200q and SG Pro with no issues with plate solving at all, before or after a flip. Nowt odd as astro related software, that's for sure!!  

Cheers mate, so am i. I most certainly was coming to a point where all hope was lost until our very own brilliant Sara showed up with this answer. 

Maybe the v200q fixes this issue but then i'm too scared to tinker with what works now :D

Archived