Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil super nova remnant - 4 panels

alexbb

This is my take at the Veil nebula. I started this in May and I acquired 5.5h of hydrogen data for each panel and 2-2.5h of oxygen data for each panel. In the beginning I was quite enthusiastic about acquiring a lot of data, then the weather turned cloudy and I didn't really believe I could gather any oxygen data. However, the clouds cleared a bit during the last month so I was able to record some OIII, though by far not as much as I wanted, you can see that too in the final image. This is a total of 22h + 8.5h in 4 panels.

I need to tweak a bit the brighter stars, the core seems blue-ish while the outer area has a red hue. That's because I used a better mount when shooting through the OIII filter compared to the Ha.

Other than this, what do you think?

Clear skies!

Alex

Veil-F400-panel1234-2018-07-20-HOO_p04_066.jpg

Edit, last version:

Veil-F400-panel1234-2018-07-20-HOO_p06_066.thumb.jpg.90c646f76158dde77df71a71763ec574.jpg

Well I think it is an amazing result - I've been imaging the same region over the past 4 weeks using a Samyang 135 and Atik 428 and trying to get the whole thing in one go! Your image puts my results so far completely in the shade - I clearly need much more data!

Thank you for sharing - and inspiring me to go back to this target.

53 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Well I think it is an amazing result - I've been imaging the same region over the past 4 weeks using a Samyang 135 and Atik 428 and trying to get the whole thing in one go! Your image puts my results so far completely in the shade - I clearly need much more data!

Thank you for sharing - and inspiring me to go back to this target.

Thank you, Adrian!

I get the same feeling when I see the same area shot with a bigger aperture and a bigger sensor. While someone can cover almost the same area with a FSQ85 and a KAF16200 sensor, I need 4 panels (and 4 times more exposure). OTOH, if you got 22h on a single panel and such big pixels... I don't even know if I can imagine realistically how would that compare to what I get. I saw a recent example from a friend who got a higher SNR in 2h of data than I had in 10h spread on 4 panels.

I'm looking at your veil nebula, @swag72, and see that you have a much higher amount of hydrogen than oxygen, compared to what I get by combining the images in the linear phase. Do you remember how you combined the 2 wavelengths? I believe I should be able to lift the Ha line more if I gave it an initial stretch before combining. I'll try that.

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

That's looking lovely :)  As far as I remember, I just combined them as an HOO and then processed it from there.

Thank you, Sara!

I need to start over and see if the background normalization had something to do in the final result.

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Stunning. It looks like my Eastern Veil image is well placed to start a mosaic ?

Thanks, Adam! You have plenty of time, only at about 2AM it's going past meridian here. For me, it's hiding now, but for your observatory it should still be in a good position for 3-4 months. Go for it.

49 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Wonderful image. 

Thanks, Richard!

I made another version, I think I'm calling it the final unless I get other remarks.

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

It looks great Richard.  Maybe a bit of MT (star reduction) might help with the rimmed stars if they bother you.  You got it all, and its a keeper.

Rodd

Well, while typing the above, you replied. I applied already some MT, if I apply more, the overall image doesn't improve, but the background deteriorates. I can apply some MT to the brighter stars, but that doesn't really make a lot of difference?! It's a very busy area.

How's this last version? I lifted more the less bright Ha signal.

Veil-F400-panel1234-2018-07-20-HOO_p05_066.jpg

2 minutes ago, moise212 said:

ow's this last version? I lifted more the less bright Ha signal.

Sorry--typo--Alex!   I think thats good--but when ever I lift the Ha and/or OIII in the veil like this it tends to desaturate the structures.  The veil has white areas that I find hard to saturate.  I like to keep the white areas to a minimum.  So perhaps a touch of saturation in teh areas you lift might help.  I find these types of tweaks require allot of fidgeting and redoing to get right.   What I initially view as a simple tweak turns into a very detail oriented period of trial and error--(i.e. you don't want to lift teh stars so a very well fitting star mask is in order--subtracted from the mask you use to expose the area you want to lift (whether that be a range mask or an extracted red layer in this case).

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Sorry--typo--Alex!   I think thats good--but when ever I lift the Ha and/or OIII in the veil like this it tends to desaturate the structures.  The veil has white areas that I find hard to saturate.  I like to keep the white areas to a minimum.  So perhaps a touch of saturation in teh areas you lift might help.  I find these types of tweaks require allot of fidgeting and redoing to get right.   What I initially view as a simple tweak turns into a very detail oriented period of trial and error--(i.e. you don't want to lift teh stars so a very well fitting star mask is in order--subtracted from the mask you use to expose the area you want to lift (whether that be a range mask or an extracted red layer in this case).

Rodd

Or this?

Veil-F400-panel1234-2018-07-20-HOO_p06_066.jpg

On 24/07/2018 at 16:52, moise212 said:

Or this?

Sorry for the delay--SGL is not emailing me when I get responses and quotes.  Don't know why.  Both are good--both have the white areas.  First off, I have not yet figured out how to saturate the white areas, so I don't know how much help I can be.  I have tried isolating them with masks, extracting the various channels, everything.  Oversaturating is definitely not the way to go.  I originally thought that maybe the white areas are regions high in SII--so are devoid of color do to the lack of SII.  But a bi-color image by Barry Wilson that did not have the white areas eliminated that possibility.  But, in truth--your images are excellent with the white areas.  I mean, they aren't really white.  The structure looks great, so well done.  

Rodd

On 27/07/2018 at 01:54, Rodd said:

Sorry for the delay--SGL is not emailing me when I get responses and quotes.  Don't know why.  Both are good--both have the white areas.  First off, I have not yet figured out how to saturate the white areas, so I don't know how much help I can be.  I have tried isolating them with masks, extracting the various channels, everything.  Oversaturating is definitely not the way to go.  I originally thought that maybe the white areas are regions high in SII--so are devoid of color do to the lack of SII.  But a bi-color image by Barry Wilson that did not have the white areas eliminated that possibility.  But, in truth--your images are excellent with the white areas.  I mean, they aren't really white.  The structure looks great, so well done.  

Rodd

Thanks and no worries! I can increase the saturation in the bright area with a mask, though, as you said, they aren't really white. Until I improve much more, I call the last one the final version.

Clear skies!

Alex

4 hours ago, moise212 said:

Thanks and no worries! I can increase the saturation in the bright area with a mask, though, as you said, they aren't really white. Until I improve much more, I call the last one the final version.

Clear skies!

Alex

That's what I did too.  Leaves something for another day!

Rodd

Archived