Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for an in-line 12V DC power connector

choochoo_baloo

I've been upgrading all of my leisure battery run electrical supply.

I have a main power line from the battery into a distribution box. This wire is quality 14 AWG (actually reasonably heavy too), so plenty of current headroom based on my maximum draw. The distribution box has a row of female phono connevcors mounted on the Losmandy base plate.

During it's trail run last night, I discovered that the "Permaplug" power line connector (photo attached).

I'm using is too heavy and bulky, giving noticeable cable strain on the telescope assembly. (This long-winded description is to describe my situation so that others can hopefully advise on teh following):

What 12V DC (up to 10A) 2 pin connector should I fit into the main line?

I'm tempted to use a pair of male+female phono\RCA. However I'm not sure it could handle that current? Thanks in advance.

permaplug.jpg

Is it somewhere that might come under strain? You probably want something that locks, in that case. 

If not, I'd use IEC plug and socket connectors (also called kettle leads ? )

REWIREABLE IEC C14 PLUG,3 PIN MALE MAINS POWER KETTLE CONNECTOR,10A,SOLDER/SCREW

edit: DON'T DO THIS. (see below)

Recommend Neutrik XLR connectors. They are rated for 16 amps and have very good cable clamping plus a positive locking action. If you google Neutrik XLR you will find plenty of mail order suppliers. The only drawback is that you need to solder the connections.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Hugh

A quick edit - The smallest number of poles is 3 but that shouldn’t put you off, just wire up the same 2 of the 3 pins in the plug and the socket. Socket connects to battery, plug to gear.

2 hours ago, skybadger said:

How about a terminal board on the battery which supports standard 2.1mm DC power jacks ?

Now I've seen the diagram, I like this idea. One single cable run with the connector at the battery.

2 hours ago, Gina said:

I don't like the idea of using mains connectors on low voltage lines. 

Ah, would that be because someone *could* accidentally connect it to a working 240V kettle lead, wouldn't it? 

Now that you've made me think about it, that makes glaring sense. (I just hope the judges for SGL stupid post of the year are on a day off.  Can I just say I misspoke???? ? )

** Never use a mains connector type on anything other than mains. **

Ady

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Well then there's the Neutrik Speakon connectors, 2 a 4 pole. They were designed for Pro loudspeaker installations, so are able to handle high currents....

I have used these and very good they are too but I don’t think they make cable socket connectors, only plugs and chassis mount sockets.

10 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

They are available, and can be sourced from Canford Audio, see https://www.canford.co.uk/NEUTRIK-SPEAKON-LOUDSPEAKER-CONNECTORS-Touring-series

Thanks Julian, - good info.

For anyone thinking of using these, one big advantage is that they use clever screwed connectors, no soldering needed. Very robust connectors too.

Regards, Hugh

I use these as they are waterproof: -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-20-30-Waterproof-Electrical-Wire-Superseal-Connector-Kit-Plug-2-3-4-Pin-Cable/311976683815?hash=item48a3426927:m:mCShRZ-Xa41adyVzJ5yVBag

The only extra thing I do is to use some self sealing adhesive shrink tube at the ends so that they are waterproof, you will also need the proper crimp tool, but I can put you onto that as well.

What I do is when I run the cables out from my shed to the garden , they then snap together, if I decide to go mobile then I have made up separate connectors that will plug either to my tracer batteries or to a leisure battery

• 3 weeks later...

in ham radio we use these andersons power pole connectors, they are rated 30A @12V and can not be connected the wrong way around, they slot together in pairs any way round you like, so you could have one vertical and one horizontal or both same orientation, solder or crimp them as you wish.

powerpole__66167.1421702291.jpg?c=2&imby

https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/powerpole-30a-connectors-shack-pack-12/

I could do with some connectors for my 3D printers to connect the interchangeable hotends but I think I might just use Molex connectors from old computers.  My biggest printer wants 5A at 24v for the heaters.

Archived