Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pillars in M16

drjolo

When I saw HST image Pillars of Creation (it's been over 20 years ago) I was totally impressed - both with the image and with its context. M16 Eagle nebula is not an easy target at my location. It crawls low above horizon and I needed to wait for some really good conditions to capture it - and it does not happen often. Bu the night has come at the beginning of July this year, and I managed to collect almost 2 hours of subframes with H alpha filter. 

Made with Meade ACF 10", AP CCDT67 telecompressor, QHY163M camera (gain 100), EQ6 mount, Ha alpha filter - 5 and 2 minutes subframes. Suburban sky, both seeing and transparency were good.

M16H.jpg

M16 Eagle nebula centre - full frame

M16H_crop.jpg

Enlarged crop to Pillars of Creation

Thanks for watching!

Thanks guys!

33 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Excellent detail.. are you going to capture SII and OII and emulate the Hubble image?

15 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

Stunning work! As above, if you get the SII and OII and do a Hubble take on this ❤️ . Still blows my mind that we can get these images, from our back gardens!

Yes, I plan to capture more channels, but it most probably needs to wait for another season. Unless I travel with my shed more to south :)

That is very true - when I did my first astroimages with manual guiding and film camera, and saw first HST images I have never dreamt about the quality of images that is currently available for amateurs. 

17 minutes ago, drjolo said:

Thanks guys!

Yes, I plan to capture more channels, but it most probably needs to wait for another season. Unless I travel with my shed more to south :)

That is very true - when I did my first astroimages with manual guiding and film camera, and saw first HST images I have never dreamt about the quality of images that is currently available for amateurs. 

Stick your shed on your car roof - easy :D

Out of curiosity - is the Focal Length of your Meade 2000mm? Or have I read that wrong!

I use my Canon 400mm lens. Looking at getting an 80mm Refractor at some point (Around 380mm to 480mm).

Presume it is a lot harder to get good shots with longer Focal Length - Perfect PA and Guiding?

Cheers,

Tom.

Excellent image of a very tricky target! It is one of my favourites too, even before I got serious about astronomy the Hubble picture really caught my attention.

Thanks for sharing :)

14 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

Stick your shed on your car roof - easy :D

Out of curiosity - is the Focal Length of your Meade 2000mm? Or have I read that wrong!

There are two versions of Meade ACF: f/8 and f/10. I have the cheaper and lighter f/10, so its native FL is 2500mm, and with telecompressor I currently have 1800mm. For PA I use polarscope only and I usually set it with error in the range 2-3 arc minutes. Guiding is also important, and I needed to use SW 80/400 for guiding. I was not able to achieve satisfying results with shorter FL achromatic guidescopes :( Fortunately with CMOS cameras you may stick to short subframes :)

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

Those ACF optics are pretty good.  Can't wait to see color

That probably will need to wait for another season. Imaging M16 at my location consists mostly of waiting for good conditions.

9 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Wow 2 hours? Beautifully clean detailed image.

Yes, I found M16 pretty bright - especially central region.

56 minutes ago, drjolo said:

That probably will need to wait for another season. Imaging M16 at my location consists mostly of waiting for good conditions.

I hear ya, believe me--M16. M17 as well as M8 and M20 are all very ow for me as well.  I find narrowband a bit more forgiving of less than decent conditions,

Rodd

Archived