Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

183MC or a 1600MC

daveangie0110

Hi all, I am upgrading my imaging camera from a Canon 600D to either a ASI 183MC Cooled or the ASI 1600MC Cooled but I do not know which one to go for, my scope is a William Optics ZS61 which ihas a focal length of 360mm but next year I will be getting the william optics ZS73 which has a focal length of 430mm, I also use a Samyang 135mm F2 lens and a Sigma 50mm Prime lens, can anyone tell me what is the best one and why. 
Thanks.

First of all, I would personally prefer the cooled version of either camera over the uncooled version. Second, if you ever consider narrow band imaging (even just Ha to add to RGB), and if light pollution is an issue, go for the mono version with filters. If you still have money left in your wallet after that, go for the larger sensor. It's easier to crop off edges than to have to do a mosaic. The 1600 has larger pixels (3.8 um versus 2.4 um), so it will get you slightly more detailed images. But that's not enough to be the most important factor.

Just my € 0.02

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

First of all, I would personally prefer the cooled version of either camera over the uncooled version. Second, if you ever consider narrow band imaging (even just Ha to add to RGB), and if light pollution is an issue, go for the mono version with filters. If you still have money left in your wallet after that, go for the larger sensor. It's easier to crop off edges than to have to do a mosaic. The 1600 has larger pixels (3.8 um versus 2.4 um), so it will get you slightly more detailed images. But that's not enough to be the most important factor.

Just my € 0.02

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention that I would get the cooled version and I prefer the colour version.

8 minutes ago, daveangie0110 said:

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention that I would get the cooled version and I prefer the colour version.

Personally I would not get the color camera, I would get a ZWO ASI183mm cool with that scope and in that price range, just grab a manual wheel and a cheap absorptive LRGB filter set.

For OSC in that price range it would be the ASI294mc cool as opposed to either of the sensors you mentioned but not for the lenses only with the ZS61. I am not a fan of either for a color camera especially not at F6.  However if you intend to use any of those lenses with the camera get the 183mc as it is more suited to them and is still good for the ZS61.

I dont like the the ASI1600mc cool in OSC not seen great images from it.

I know you asked a similar question before. I guess the answer is the same.

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Personally I would not get the color camera, I would get a ZWO ASI183mm cool with that scope and in that price range, just grab a manual wheel and a cheap absorptive LRGB filter set.

For OSC in that price range it would be the ASI294mc cool as opposed to either of the sensors you mentioned but not for the lenses only with the ZS61. I am not a fan of either for a color camera especially not at F6.  However if you intend to use any of those lenses with the camera get the 183mc as it is more suited to them and is still good for the ZS61.

I dont like the the ASI1600mc cool in OSC not seen great images from it.

I know you asked a similar question before. I guess the answer is the same.

Thanks Adam, when spending nearly £1000 on a camera I want to get the right one, like you said I think the 183 is more suited for my ZS61 and ZS73.

I think 

55 minutes ago, daveangie0110 said:

Thanks Adam, when spending nearly £1000 on a camera I want to get the right one, like you said I think the 183 is more suited for my ZS61 and ZS73.

I think you will regret not getting the mono version, just look at astrobin and the difference in quality between the images for the mono and the OSC. Sorry I could not persuade you. Also much better resale value on mono. 

2 hours ago, daveangie0110 said:

I was in your shoes 3 months ago, - all constantly advised the same... MONO...

At the end... I thought, in a Long Run, I will end up in Mono anyway...

My apologies for these comments... I know they are painful...

Another vote for mono here too. 

I have used both OSC and mono cameras and the mono is much more sensitive and will reveal much more detail.  Of course it is a more expensive route and then you have the filterwheel and filters to buy and learn to combine the different filters.  

I took the mono route as advised some years ago and have never regretted it.  You can also do narrowband with a mono camera which is useful in a LP location and for adding some wavelengths you can't pick up with LRGB.

Carole 

Archived