Narrowband

Control synscan without controller?

Hi all, I am thinking of  buying a second hand skywatcher synscan az goto mount, the only thing is it don't come with the hand controller, I was wondering if I could use my phone or my pc with stellarium to control the mount with, I will needs to buy the right cables for it but it'll be alot cheaper than a hand controller, I'm aware this can be done but I'm unsure if the alignment can be done without the hand controller.

The AZ GOTO mount can be controlled via an Ursa Minor  bluetooth adapter available from 365Astronomy. There are also diy options such as the Supatrak adapter by rwg the creator of Sharpcap.

ps The ursa minor module costs about £70 which is only slightly less ghan a used v3 handset from astroboot

2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The AZ GOTO mount can be controlled via an Ursa Minor  bluetooth adapter available from 365Astronomy. There are also diy options such as the Supatrak adapter by rwg the creator of Sharpcap.

So would you say I could control the mount fully including alignment with my pc?

6 minutes ago, Arran townsend said:

So would you say I could control the mount fully including alignment with my pc?

Ps, am I unable to get a simple cable that plugs directly into the AUX port on the mount into the pc or do I have to get a handset to plug the pc into, I'd rather the cheapest option 

Unlike the EQ Synscan mounts, which can be controlled through an Eqdir cable and EQAscom, the AZ needs either a Synscan handset or an adapter as described above or possibly a suitably modified FTDI cable. In any case, you cannot plug the mount directly into a computer. 

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

I'm pretty sure that the AZ Goto is compatible with the Synscan app and Synscan WiFi dongle. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-synscan-wifi-adapter.html

I connected to mine and had it solar tracking nicely but I haven't tested it in anger.

That would probably work too.

Archived