sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Stat's and Other info regarding our Moon

OXO

Stat's and other Info

Ok here goes some stat's of my personal Fav features of the moon and it's surface i wont do them all as it would take me a couple of Eon's to do. Please remember i am dyslexic so if there's any spelling mistake's i am sorry..i'll try my best lol..

After reading this if anyone would like to know about a certain crater or feature then plese just ask. If i dont know i will ask someone else to step in(Astroman?)....

1.Copernicus - 95x95Km / 56x56Miles quite a younge crater it's shape is rather hexagonal and was named after Nicolas Copernic the 16 th century polish Astronomer.I would reccomend a telescope larger than say from a 60mm to 90mm refractor to see it at it's best..

2.Plato -this is a nice naked eye object (104x104Km / 61x61Miles) and i often call it the moons black eye because of it's apperance the Circular formation which is with the Alp's is quite strikeing in telescope's of 70mm and upwards. Named after Plato the 5 th century BC greek Philosopher.

3.Eratosthenes- (60x60Km / 35x35Mies) a nice circular formation just south of Montes Apenninus is another of my fav's with it's high walls and terraces this look's fantastic in any telescope although best in one above 90mm.Named after Eratosthene the 3 rd century BC greek Mathematician and philosopher who like many of the people name after crater's was born in greece..

4.Vallis Alpes- (134x134Km / 79x7Miles) South-West North-East oriented immense fault. Raised cliffs on each side. Rectilinear 700 m width rille on the floor.This is a good one to watch over a period of time as the shadows cast always offer a differant perspective. Looks great with a larger telescope and high magnifcation although a small scope will show it. Named after?...

5. Schroter's Valley ( 65x165Km / 97x6Miles) My all time Fav moon feature and a Sod to image due to it's brightness from ARISTARCHUS.It's a Remarkable rille with a width of 6 to 10 miles, Begins to 25 km to the North of Herodotus by a lengthened

craterlet called 'the Head of Cobra'. Floor covered by a 200

m wide rille.Named after Johan H. Schröter

18 th century german Astronomer . This is an esy to find feature just look at the moon and a white tick mark home in on it with a telescope of 120mm or more and the valley will be there in your view. I find it a good test of telescope's optics too..

Well thats five for now i will be posting more tommorow and in the future at least as much as i can anyway hope you have enjoyed this first installment.

James :)

Much more to Come!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned in another thread, its actually a debris scar from the formation of the Plato crater to the south.

Ok, so this is wrong. It's really a graben-a formation of land that has the underlying structure collapse, which depresses the middle. There's a rille that runs down the middle too that's irregular. It's radial to Mare Imbrium, which is what led people to believe it was caused by debris from that massive impact, but closer inspection reveals the truth. Francesco Bianchini named it in 1727.

Nieson? Don't know that one. Sorry.

I've got a really cool book at home. It's old now but it covers the entire moon (visible side that is) and names every - and I mean every crater, it also give the sizes of most what caused them and some history of the person that they are named after.

Ant

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi James,

Nice post, very helpful, its so hard for me to comprehend the diameter of these craters, it would take me a few days to walk the width of copernicus.... :shock:

If you were standind in the middle of Copernicus, you would not be able to see the crater walls, as they would be over the horizon. :shock:

Ok this weeks Crater is [glow=red,2,300]GASSENDI[/glow]

image.jpg

Gassendi is a Walled plain and it's Size is 114x114km/67x67 miles and a height and wide ratio of 0.0169. Its shape is circular with 2 mountains that are around 1200m high and is close to Mare Humorum. Pierre Gassend for which the crater was name after lived in 1592 .

Best observed 3 days after first quarter and 2 days into the last quarter

Image Details:

James Dyson 2005

8" Reflector and Nikon Coolpix 4500

James :lol:

This week's Feature is [glow=red,2,300]VALLIS SCHROTER[/glow].

image.jpg

SCHROTER VALLIS is close by two the craters HERODOTUS and ARISTARCHUS. It's a Remarkable rille that directs to the North then turn to the West with a varieing width of 6m to 10m wide and decreasing to 500 m to the far West. It's best observed 4 days after first Quarter or 3 days after last Quarter. It's named after the Astronomer Johan H. Schröter and is Easy to see in the smallest of Telescope's i remember observing it in a 4.5 Tasco reflector when i was a child, it is a good way of testing the seeing conditions too i found.

Images Details:

J.Dyson

8"Scope

Toucam Pro.

Date's seem fine to me WH?..

It's a real treat this Feature i find, if you look at the Moon without the Aid of Scopes etc look for the Brightest part of the Moon and a little tick you will know were to look with ye olde scope.

:shock: Wicked! Never look at the Moon at 800x before nearest is around 600-650x and thats awsome i like the feeling you get as if in the Lunar Module can't really be beaten that Saturns close though.