Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

emadmoussa

Most grab-and-go SCT!!

It is indeed grab and go... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. if you were a transport helicopter. :D

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

nu-da-check-the-largest-transport-helicopters-in-the-world-24549_10.jpg

• Haha 1

Imagine the size of the dewsheild that it would need..... and ....... those are really cool socks he is wearing ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't understand how those tripod legs are taking that much weight, looks like 600lbs resting on it.

Looks too big to fit in the dome behind it, maybe that's why it's outside! Must be at least 24", and who knows what focal length,,5000mm? An impressive beast!

2 hours ago, Pig said:

Imagine the size of the dewsheild that it would need....

I think a regular plastic dustbin would suffice.

• Like 1

Zoiks, that's a monster. Any idea what it is?

It's the rare Meade 20"  SCT. There was one at the London Astrofest a few years ago. Despite the massive mount it still wobbled if you tapped it. I don't think they ever got into regular production. It's possible that Meade were goaded in to it by rumours from Celestron that they were considering a 20" or even bringing back their legendary 22"

Edited by Peter Drew
Typo
  • Like 1

Curb your grab-and-go memes, please. 

This is grab and go.

Image result for smallest telescope

vs.

The telescope you want to grab and go with when you visit @FLO.

Image result for largest telescope

:D :D :D

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In a hurricane you could use that to grab'n'stay...

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I don't understand how those tripod legs are taking that much weight, looks like 600lbs resting on it.

The mighty engineering power of the triangle combined with the ingenious use of tension. Those spindly tie rods going from the feet to the centre of the column are pulled tighter as the mass of the telescope increases. This is a structure which stiffens as load is increased. All good stuff.

Olly

• Like 4

I want one of those!

Me too ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

In a hurricane you could use that to grab'n'stay...

The mighty engineering power of the triangle combined with the ingenious use of tension. Those spindly tie rods going from the feet to the centre of the column are pulled tighter as the mass of the telescope increases. This is a structure which stiffens as load is increased. All good stuff.

Olly

Right up to the point that the elastic limit of the weakest component is exceeded! ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Right up to the point that the elastic limit of the weakest component is exceeded! ?

Then you lose a leg if that thing goes off.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I'm sorry but it would be interesting to see that happen--but not with the actual scope on board, just a bin with weights (or in a simulation). My guess is that the legs would give first, then the entire thing would lose symmetry. It would be a big smash-up. ?

7 hours ago, Paz said:

I want one of those!

7 hours ago, Gina said:

Me too ?

You have to know that you want a focal length like that, though. I've observed through a 0.8 metre F8 RC and, in that, a 31mm Nagler made an excellent planetary EP. Where do you go for the Pleiades?? Having said that, our 14 inch SCT is winning me over despite the FL. But at some point enough has to be enough on FL, I think.

Olly

• Like 1

I used to have a Celestron 127 SLT before I sold it and moved up to an 8 SE, one of the biggest (fairly) easily transportable scopes.

The 127 (mm) or 5" Mak was a great and light scope. I miss it sometimes. Definitely grab and go.

Very impressive scope. I can't help but wonder why he placed his observatory out on a wooden deck, knowing it can't be as solid or vibration-free as the brick patio/driveway he's showing off this cannon on.

• Like 1