Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eastern Veil without filter

Nyctimene

The Milky Way appeared washed out even near the zenith, it's bifurcation was not impressive, and the NELM again at 5.0 (UMi) at 02.00 CEST, so sub-average conditions once more in these hot and dry summer weeks here in southern Germany. Looking through the 26 mmf/62° ES with the 5,1" Skywatcher Heritage, using a UHC filter, at the North America Nebula, was somewhat disappointing. The brightest region near the "golf" showed little contrast, the Pelican was completely invisible. With low expectations I turned to the Veil Nebula.To my surprise, it's eastern part (NGC 6992) was faint, but rather distinct, and readily visible with direct vision. The western part, 6960, was fainter, as expected, but the S extending region, could be made out again with direct vision. Just for fun, I unscrewed the UHC, and, astonishingly, the western Veil still showed it's distinct arc, a little fainter than before, but still easy to make out. I had not expected this unfiltered view in a bright summer night. So, encouraged, I tried to spot the (much more difficult) Crescent nebula (NGC 6888), but without any success, despite knowing the accurate location. Again, the Heritage was a good and capable companion, easy to set up and use, with excellent optics. Pleased to bed at 03.15.

Thanks for reading.

Stephan

Great report, Stephan. I've read a few times from experienced observers about seeing these nebula without filters. They often talk of the importance of observing without filters first. It must be like seeing something in a darkened room and then turning on the lights!

Great report!

The H130 is a great telescope and can show so much nebulosity.  The Crescent is tough in it even under VG darkness because of the scopes short focal length, ie image size at the needed exit pupil. It can be done and done without a filter as well, showing the "brightest" arc of the object.

I look forward to your reports Stephan, Gerry

• 3 months later...

Finally got round to putting this thread into action last night with my little Altair Astro 70ed. The Eastern veil was very clear using with a 31N and OIII although the western needed a bit of patience to distinguish it from 52’s glare. What was really pleasing was, without the OIII, the western section remained visible, a fainter but still very discernible tight arc. 

I really hadn’t expected it to be visible unfiltered in a little frac with my so-so skies (Milky Way clear with Cygnus rift often visible when overhead). So came away with a renewed respect for my location and the little travel frac.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:37, Nyctimene said:

With low expectations I turned to the Veil Nebula.To my surprise, it's eastern part (NGC 6992) was faint, but rather distinct, and readily visible with direct vision.

Impressive stuff Stephan.

19 hours ago, Eastman said:

Impressive stuff Stephan.

Not as impressive, as it seems.....

Just stumbled over this CloudyNights article; several observers spotted the Eastern Veil with 10x42 or 10x50 binos. Will give it a try with my 10x50 Zeiss Jenoptem ("Bi-zooka"-stabilized); at any rate with the Blue Penguin. But I' m afraid, that the weather will not be cooperative any more in November.

Have a look:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/635914-veil-and-binos/

Stephan

Interesting link, Stephan. I think seeing it with modest bins from typical U.K. skies would be almost impossible. Maybe at 15x70 upwards, but it’d take a real coincidence of ideal conditions and location with anything smaller.

I do envy rural N American skies!!

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

Just tried the veil nebula without filter and 50% moon. I could see a very faint part of the broomstick. Checked it with the Olll. Never expected this.

I used my SW130p flextube. 

12 minutes ago, Eastman said:

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.

Just tried the veil nebula without filter and 50% moon. I could see a very faint part of the broomstick. Checked it with the Olll. Never expected this.

I used my SW130p flextube. 

Nice work!!

Archived