Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Longitude

Patbloke

If you haven't already done so, I thoroughly recommend you read this book... 

Longitude by Dava Sobel

With a big hint of astronomy and some key historical names mentioned, this book is (quote) the dramatic story of an epic scientific quest! 

Whilst we all take for granted the easy identification of where we are on the planet these days, this was not always the case! The quest to solve the recording of longitude was so difficult in the past that  it gave rise to many governments offering huge sums of money as prizes for the answer to the question.

If you want a book to browes through on ya sunbed or deck chair at night whilst waiting for the clouds to clear, this is a good one.. It reads like a whose who in the world of astronomy - see if you get get hold of this book. 

I would pass it on but my partner is going to delve into it when she's completed her latest crime thriller... 

Although when she's finished it I may be able to let it go (although technically it is hers) 

IMG_20180720_091329_1.jpg

Dava Sobel is a terrific writer. I started with this one (longitude) and then followed with "Galileo's Daughter" and "Copernicus (A More Perfect Heaven)"

I am now reading her latest book "The Glass Universe: How the Ladies of the Harvard Observatory Took the Measure of the Stars"

On 20/07/2018 at 10:15, Vox45 said:

Dava Sobel is a terrific writer. I started with this one (longitude) and then followed with "Galileo's Daughter" and "Copernicus (A More Perfect Heaven)"

I am now reading her latest book "The Glass Universe: How the Ladies of the Harvard Observatory Took the Measure of the Stars"

Wow, I'll check those out... 

Thoroughly good read, almost a "non put downable" book. The other half managed to find me "The Illustrated Longitude" version by Dava Sobel and William J H Andrews.  ISBN No - 1857027140. Lots of pretty informative piccys as a bonus.

Get it, you won't regret it!...... and enjoy.

Les

I really enjoyed "Longitude", but "Galileo's Daughter" I found absolutely fascinating, both as an insight into his world but also the relationship between a father his illegitimate daughter for whom he was trying to achieve the best possible outcome.

James

'Longitude' was a fascinating series on TV.
Michael Gambon in the role of John Harrison was quite superb.
As a Clockmaker, he was well suited to the task of creating a timepiece to aid in the establishment  of 'Longitude' at Sea.
The Award that was on offer to the person who was successful in achieving that goal, was certainly a prize Harrison earned,
but had one hell of a fight to finally get that reward, but the intervention of King George the third ensured he was paid that money.
Little help was afforded Harrison by the Georgian  Astronomer Royal at the Time,  Nevil Maskelyne.
Harrisons Son also played a big part in this success story.
A fantastic bit of television, and I recommend it to anyone who has not seen it.

I enjoyed the book very much but I do think Dava Sobel oversimplifies the success of Harrison's clocks. In fact it took many decades before the clock became reliable enough to work consistently as the only determinant of longitude and most navigators used both a clock or clocks in conjunction with the lunars method. Some feel she gives Neville Maskelyne an unduly hard time as well. All of this comes within the usual give and take of historical debate and it certainly is a book worth reading, as is Gallileo's Daughter, another of her titles.

Olly

Archived