Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Guest chaz2b

Absolutely gobsmacked!

Guest chaz2b

There are times in ones life, when, after looking at the moon for umpteen years, real proper viewing equipment comes your way.

This year, my way of life has changed with the passing of my good friend Keiron Mcgrath and his wife Anne. They have left to me a great deal of Keirons scopes and accessories, amongst this was an  Astro-Tech APO  90mm Triplet, it needed a focuser so I aquired an Altair Crayford focuser which fitted perfectly, also amongst the gems was an Astro-Tech Dielectric 2" diagonal. I fitted the scope to a Televue mount. Having now set it up outside I amassed a few eyepieces, two are zoomable, and the other gem, a Televue bino viewer!

With the half Moon tonight in clear skies, I started viewing with single low powered eyepieces, very nice! Then I swapped over to the bino viewer with two Tele-vue 20mm plossels... WOW! I mean... Wow!

It was as if I was floating around the Moon from a spaceship!! Everthing I saw was with exciting detail of which I've only seen in magazines, i stayed out till the Moon had dropped too low, i then moved over to Jupiter , the bands really stood out along with four glistening Moons. What a night!

Chaz

WOW! moments are always worth recording and remembering :smile: 

• Like 1

Sounds like you really enjoyed observing the moon tonight. ?

At least you had clear skies. Cloudy here with the moon almost peeking through the clouds at times. Maybe tomorrow.

John

I have a pair of WO binoviewers, nothing beats a set of binoviewers. They improve the image and clarity more than any solo eyepiece IMO.

Oh wow! I have been pondering a binoviewer for some time, but I'm a bit bummed out at the fact I would have to buy copies of eyepieces I have, your report is making me rethink it now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Oh wow! I have been pondering a binoviewer for some time, but I'm a bit bummed out at the fact I would have to buy copies of eyepieces I have, your report is making me rethink it now. 

Do it, trust me! The WO set comes with a pair of good EP's, I've only used those, it comes with a screw on magnifing lens (used to achieve focus on some Newts) that helps achieve a closer view of the planets etc, they're good for DSO's too.

• Thanks 1

Guest chaz2b

Thank you for your replies, still reeling from the experience.

I am now considering making a binoscope with two Orion 10" intelliscopes, should be fun!

Chaz

Glad you had such a wow! I have WO binoviewers. They are all I use on the moon and planets now.  As long as you can achieve focus (which is easy on cassegrains and Maks but more difficult on Newts and some fracs, you will never go back to mono viewing for planets and the moon.

Steve 

Inspiring post. I recently decided to do more lunar observing, so must add binoviewers to my wish list now. Just a question of which scope to put them on!

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Inspiring post. I recently decided to do more lunar observing, so must add binoviewers to my wish list now. Just a question of which scope to put them on!

Probably the C8 will give you the best chance to achieve focus without any barlows or mods.  I cant get mine to focus on the 12 inch or 8 inch dob even with a this https://www.365astronomy.com/TS-Optics-2.6x-Glass-Path-Corrector-and-Barlow-Lens-1.25-TS-TSGWK161.html

The smaller scopes might not be great for magnification depending on the eyepieces used - my WO came with 20mm eyepieces as standard.  The Tal might have enough focus especially with the added GPC lens above, so I think you could use the C8 without any GPC or the Tal with GPC. Try both and see which you prefer.

I tend to use the Meade ETX 125 Mak and the Equinox 120ED with binoviewers.  I'd highly recommend binoviewers on the moon and planets, you will never look back...... excuse the pun!

Steve

10 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

my WO came with 20mm eyepieces as standard.  

Thanks for the info Steve. Does the WO binoviewer also include an internal barlow? Just trying to work out what magnification the standard 20mm eyepieces would give on the C8? (Sorry for the diversion OP).

Guest chaz2b

No need to be sorry, all info on binoviewing is acceptable, the more the merrier.

As I mentioned, I'm considering putting a 10" reflector binoscope together, had a look around to see what other people have done, and I'm impressed!

Getting the eyepieces to not only focus but setting the pupillary distance is going to be the challenge, combining the two shouldn't be too difficult, as the pupillary distance is relatively short between people.

If anyone has a link to other binoviers built this way I'd appreciate it.

Chaz

15 hours ago, RobertI said:

Thanks for the info Steve. Does the WO binoviewer also include an internal barlow? Just trying to work out what magnification the standard 20mm eyepieces would give on the C8? (Sorry for the diversion OP).

I got a 1.6x GPC included with the WO binoviewer.  I think though that I've seen on other threads that this gives a little more than 1.6x due to the optics and the position etc. This GPC was not enough to get focus with the newt or frac but works nicely with the 125 ETX Mak. I do not need it to get focus on the Mak but it does give extra mag and the moon in particular looks great with the 1.6 in place on the Mak.  There are more powerful GPC's available up to 3x (see my previous link) which should allow focus on fracs and possibly newts. 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

It sounds as if that wow moment was quite something.
Due thanks to Keiron and Anne who so kindly thought of you and left this kit to a special home.

Overall I think its a double wow moment.

• Like 1

Binoviewers and the moon, they were made for each other.

• Like 1