SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WiFi mounts.

Looking at this for the Moon : https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-skymax-127-az-gti-wifi-telescope.html

I can't find info saying how they zoom, is the focus wireless too?

Ultimately i want it in the garden, transmitting the video (USB 2.0 can go up to 25 metres with an active cable) to a PC indoors.

Then i can sit at a desk and not be twiddling knobs with cold fingers :)

The WiFi just allows connection to the scope with an Astro app like Skysafari for IOS devices or Android that allows you to move the scope into the right position to be able to view the object in the eyepiece. Focusing the scope has to be done manually by you still at the telescope, and it will not transmit any kind of image to a pc as the scope is purely for visual observations.

Feel free to experiment, but the reality of using a USB video camera on a telescope (remote controlled or otherwise) to transmit images to a remote screen falls rather short of what you are imagining.  For instance, with my Mak and SCT the camera field is so small that it shows only a small fraction of the Moon, and using remote controls to get it aimed at anything other than the Moon would be very difficult. (it's hard enough when one is standing by the telescope with the use of its finderscope). 

Archived