The Eastern Veil Nebula - Ha CCD / Oiii DSLR

tooth_dr

There is a really good amount of Oiii from this target, picked up well by the DSLR.

It was a late start as I battled with EQMOD for 1.5 hours, to finally give up and plug the handset back in.

Canon 40d: 14 x 600s 12nm Oiii

Atik 383L+:  23 x 600s 12nm Ha.

Processing:

Ha = red

Oiii = blue

Synthetic green created by NC Actions

Luminance layer was 50% Ha 50% Oiii layer.

(Making it up as I go along!)

I've attached a crop around the nebula itself.

Thanks

Adam.

EDIT: I've added another version.  Started off ok, followed a plan, went a bit pear shaped.

WIP_EVN_CROPPED.jpg

WIP_EVN_CROPPED_2.jpg

27 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

There is a really good amount of Oiii from this target, picked up well by the DSLR.

It was a late start as I battled with EQMOD for 1.5 hours, to finally give up and plug the handset back in.

Canon 40d: 14 x 600s 12nm Oiii

Atik 383L+:  23 x 600s 12nm Ha.

Processing:

Ha = red

Oiii = blue

Synthetic green created by NC Actions

Luminance layer was 50% Ha 50% Oiii layer.

(Making it up as I go along!)

I've attached a crop around the nebula itself.

Thanks

Adam.

WIP_EVN_CROPPED.jpg

Great work Adam, that looks absolutely brilliant. This is a target that's high on my to-do list this coming season, and I'd be well pleased with anything even remotely resembling this. You're certainly getting the hang of this processing malarkey now by the look of things.

And here's me patiently waiting for Astro Dark to return in mid-August, while you're out shooting OIII and knocking out images like the above. Think I need to take a leaf out of your book and just get out there, lol (assuming the clouds ever clear).

17 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Great work Adam, that looks absolutely brilliant. This is a target that's high on my to-do list this coming season, and I'd be well pleased with anything even remotely resembling this. You're certainly getting the hang of this processing malarkey now by the look of things.

And here's me patiently waiting for Astro Dark to return in mid-August, while you're out shooting OIII and knocking out images like the above. Think I need to take a leaf out of your book and just get out there, lol (assuming the clouds ever clear).

Thanks Ciaran for the kind words, undoubtedly you have kickstarted my processing to the next level, so I genuinely appreciate the time and info you are able to give me!

I just try to get out even if just to practice with the camera and test the kit.  You are right about the Oiii - although all the subs are taken with both cameras at the same time, I lose about 4 Oiii subs before and 4 Oiii subs after the Ha ones, which seem to be more resistant to the brightness.

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

That's a great looking Veil. Very nicely done. That new mono camera is working very well.

Thanks Richard. It’s ok for the length of integration and the time of year I think!

The latest version attached to first post -

I removed the stars from both the Ha and Oiii layers and stretched them quite a bit.  This invariably introduced background gradients into the final image.  I created synthetic green channel layer from these red Ha and blue Oii layers.  I then went back and processed the original Ha image and the Oiii image, and combined them 50% 50% into a single layer to be used for luminance.  I found that with Ha alone it did show the upper part of the Veil properly, but the Oiii layer was noisy.  The resulting RBG image file was created from the Red Ha, Blue Oiii and Synth Green layers inserted as channels, which I slightly tweaked in 'selective colour'.  The L layer was then layered on  top.   I've somehow made all the stars look funny, by reducing the size of them.

(You think you have processing 'nailed' and then you realised you really don't when you go back and look at your images from earlier :( )

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

(You think you have processing 'nailed' and then you realised you really don't when you go back and look at your images from earlier :( )

Hehe, wait for an year or two then try again :D

Good looking Veil!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Joeistotalycool said:

Hi, I have a question. How did you process the oiii data? From what I understand it gets signal in both the blue and green channels, so how did you combine the two channels together? 

Hi Joey. If you use Astro Pixel Processor to process the data if automatically does that. I used DSS, and what I did was stack it ‘as is’ then just worked on the green data as it looks cleaner. 

Archived