SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

OBSERVATORY SHED

Hi,

You have put the link as a download rather than a link. Is it this one you were looking at ?

Observatory Shed (Ebay)

If so then looks like a shed building firm that also modifies their designs to give a retractable rood for an observatory. So would take a trip to see it on display first but would think it is fine.

The other one I found which is from same firm but smaller is:-

Small Observatory

The bigger shed says 22mm T & G which is pretty substantial but it does not say on the smaller one what size T & G is used so may not be same quality. Also the small one does look too small for a comfortable observatory with anything that small scopes and mounts and I would have worries about the waterproofing of the roof when closed. The larger one looks decent though.

To make either comfortable in winter you probably will then have to insulate it and add electrics which will add to the cost.

Steve

I drive past the listed address for this company fairly often. Can’t say that I have ever noticed anything other than car retailers there. The address appears to relate to the Reed Hyundai garage. If you are just down the road in Nottingham I would definitely ask to see the thing you are interested in - however they appear to have traded under two different names Shed Shed Shed and Sheds Sheds Sheds - I found one review for  Sheds Sheds Sheds https://www.yell.com/biz/sheds-sheds-sheds-worksop-3580743/

This wouldn’t give me much confidence......

May I add a few comments?

Compare the size of the frame timbers, roof supports, etc with a 'standard' shed.
Standard shed very much relies on it being a complete box for strength. By removing part of the roof, the box becomes wobbly. Also might the roof sag?

When I built my observatory (11 years ago) there were no local shed makers offering anything suitable. In the end I bought a shed locally to my spec with minimal changes from standard. Essentially a smaller door to help with frame strength and a 2 part floor to allow a concrete pier. I had to sort the roof strengthening and runners for myself. I also found it a good idea to add a bit more strength to the walls after delivery. The shed has required only the expected maintenance until recently when some floor joists started to rot.

There are lots more posts on SGL about shed building than when I went through the build. It would be a very good idea to take a look at these for comparison.

If you can get a look at a nearby shed that is in use, rather than in a showroom, the owner can tell you about his good and bad features, and mistakes.

If you buy the wrong expensive scope, it hurts the wallet. But you can at least recover the 2nd hand value.
If you buy the wrong size or design shed, or it rots after a couple of years, all the money is lost.

Hope this helps, David.

Looking at the photo showing the 'scope side open; the framing looks little more than battening! If the whole she'd is made from such weak framing then you will have to do a lot of reinforcing - probably totally rebuilding the frame would be easier/quicker!

Archived