Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Panstarrs S3 - another outburst

I've been looking at Comet C/2017 S3 Pansarrs tonight, and it's had another outburst a few days ago. It's quite bright now for small telescopes / binoculars to view  around 8th mag.  It's low down almost due north before midnight but climbs higher in the sky later.  A good link here from Sky & Telescope.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/panstarrs-comet-rocked-by-outburst-now-binocular-bright/

andrew

I've observed this comet over the last few nights and it is quite bright now. Quite easy to see with 11x70 binoculars. It was a bit hazy here tonight so I gave it a miss but I will be following it over the next few weeks to see what it does :icon_biggrin:

Have this in the eyepiece right now. Very bright and easy to spot. Only my second ever comet. My Dad’s visiting so got to show him too which was great. He also saw a polar ice cap on Mars. His first time seeing Mars through a telescope. Two happy campers here :D 

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Have this in the eyepiece right now. Very bright and easy to spot. Only my second ever comet. My Dad’s visiting so got to show him too which was great. He also saw a polar ice cap on Mars. His first time seeing Mars through a telescope. Two happy campers here :D 

Good for you Neil, I'm aimed at the clouds hiding it hoping for a clear patch :)

Dave

39 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’ve now got Comet 21/P in the eyepiece. Much tougher spot but becoming more obvious as the sky darkens. I think the haze must be clearing a bit. Two comets in one night!

Found 21/P GZ a lot easier from my location a few times recently, 2017 S3 is lurking in the South London light pollution, will persevere for a while longer tonight as it gets higher.

Dave

43 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Found 21/P GZ a lot easier from my location a few times recently, 2017 S3 is lurking in the South London light pollution, will persevere for a while longer tonight as it gets higher.

Dave

Good luck, Dave. 2017 S3 is a good size and bright. At first glance it would be easy to mistake it for a glob. I’m sure your patience will be rewarded as it climbs above the LP :) 

Archived