Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lubricating RA assembly on the Star Adventurer - advice, cautions?

Rudy Pohl

I've had my Star Adventurer for almost a year now so the warranty period is almost up. I have been waiting for this time so I can do a bit of maintenance on my unit just in case I voided the warranty by partially dismantling it.

PROBLEM:

I find that my RA assembly does not rotate as freely as I would like. Even though the camera/lens side and counterweight side are well  balanced it's still a little tight.

There are no sticky spots in the 360 degrees of rotation, they are all the same, just a bit tighter than I would prefer.

I'm hoping that taking apart the RA assemble/clutch and replacing the manufacturer's grease with a better quality grease will result in some even minor improvement.

QUESTIONS:

1. Does anyone have any advice and/or cautions for me before attempting this procedure - what to do and what NOT to do?

2. What kind of grease should I use? Do you know if a similar grease is available here in Canada?

3. How smooth and loose should I expect the RA to be when regreased?

Thanks very much,
Rudy

On 21/07/2018 at 07:11, 8472 said:

My advice would be don't overdo it.

Experience tells me too much or to thick a grease makes matters much worse.

Thanks so much for this crucial caveat based on experience! I appreciate this every much and will certainly heed your warning. I have just started guiding with my Star Adventurer since posting the request above and the results were so positive that I won't be fiddling at all with lubricating it, at least not for a good long while. I've posted  a guided image in the widefield forum.

Best regards,
Rudy

Archived