Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with NB

After a hiatus during the very bright summer nights, I've gotten what I consider proper first light with my new camera. Moravian G3-16200 on my WO71 and CGX.

I have about 1h30 (5 min exposures) of Ha and OIII. I also have 1h30 of L, but it seems like that doesn't make sense. I simply can't figure out how to combine the NB with the luminance in PI. This is just a very rough DSS stack and process in PI to get used to the workflow, but any pointers to tutorials would be appreciated. I prefer "proper" colours to the Hubble palette.

In this one I used Ha for red, OIII for green and blue.

1975908379_Cygnuswall.thumb.jpg.b05361471f0bb01ff3740a902baad76f.jpg

I dont normally bother with Luminance files on objects without reflection nebulosity.

The biggest difference with NB that you can make, is to go for subs as long as you can, particularly in Ha. This will draw in the surrounding hydrogen areas, and, help to bring out the fascinating dark clouds, bok globules, and subtle finer features. 20 minutes is a reasonable target.

After this, combining for colour is a matter of taste really, but try to control the white point, minimising star impact and not losing nebulosity.

The sky is a different place in narrowband, you'll enjoy it immensely :)

I will try to capture some longer exposures and ignore the  luminance. I simply don't know which filters to use on which targets yet. Thanks for the help.

Like I said above, that was my first attempt. I tried another colour combo with G=(Ha*O3)*1.5 and I actually like it better. Also a wee bit sharpen and denoise.

Anyways, I'll continue to shoot this one all through summer and keep the thread updated. Suggestions welcomed.

1017402362_Cygnuswall2.thumb.jpg.71ddb01d20197f403b5362ea9a65e25d.jpg

Hi.

I always start with the advice given here:

http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-narrowband-bicolour-palette-combinations.html

and tend to like/play around with this combination:

R/K: HA
G: (0.4*HA)+(0.6*OIII)
B: OIII

I'm not overly keen on the Hubble Palette either but blending the Hubble Palette from Annie's Astro Actions in PS with PixelMaths in PI gives some interesting results that can bring out details that are not so apparent otherwise.

It's all part of the fun.

HTH

Adrian

Archived