Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 HaLRGB

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Olly--I have attempted to bring forth the faint outer glow.  I think this I about all the data has.  Do you think luminance is the key to the  extended glow, and if so, is there much more to be had than this?  Thanks

Rodd

1211154699_HaLRGB-5bandLRGB-1g-3c-stars-FINAL-3-REPLACE-5a-HIST-3.thumb.jpg.1dd93709148c01be00d06e2b6a7da202.jpg

Luminance is certainly the key to the outer glow, yes, and I think there is more to be had. I was motivated by two things: 1) the size of M31 as mapped on the sky charts (which was far more extensive than anything I'd captured) and 2) an image I'd seen in which the outer glow had an upturned end which I seem to think was named. I've never been able to recover this inspirational image, nor have I managed to find the name of the upturned feature again, but I did manage to confirm it by using 30 minute subs.

When I see your various processing versions I have to say that they scream 'layers' at me. It's absolutely routine in my workflow to produce a new version and think, 'OK but too much and this bit has gone wrong' so I just put one over the other, erase the wrong bit, and blend the new over the old at partial opacity. I recognize a fellow tinkerer in everything you post and, believe me, you need a layers programme!!! You really do. Trust me!

Olly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

you need a layers programme!!! You really do. Trust me!

And layers are so simple to use. Listen to this man Rodd. Use the best bits from multiple programmes. I'm using three at the moment. PI, PS and APP.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

you need a layers programme!!! You really do. Trust me!

41 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

And layers are so simple to use. Listen to this man Rodd. Use the best bits from multiple programmes. I'm using three at the moment. PI, PS and APP.

I have no doubt you both are correct. The problem with PS is the monthly expense--or the full cost expense if I were to buy it.  A $20/month cost adds up over the years I plan on using it.  My budget tap has been plugged.....hopefully not for ever. I tried GIMP.....didn't get very far.  It was like trying to read Hieroglyphics.  At present I am doing the poor mans layers--If I have 2 versions in which I like different aspects, I choose one, mask out the good areas (using the Range Tool and Clone Stamp), and use Pixel Math to replace the good sections from the other version.  Basically accomplishing the same thing with much greater effort (and probably less efficacy-perhaps much less).  

rodd

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Whats APP  ? Pixinsight and Photoshop I know and use,  but APP?

32 minutes ago, Rodd said:

A $20/month cost adds up over the years I plan on using it. 

Insane price, I pay £70 a year for a bundle of six licences for Office 365!

Paint Shop pro is often available at a discount, no forced upgrade (but you do get a damn popup every week or so) I got the 2017 version for about £30, direct from the company so totally legit.

Plus legit old versions of Photoshop are easily obtained secondhand.

38 minutes ago, wornish said:

Whats APP  ? Pixinsight and Photoshop I know and use,  but APP?

Astro Pixel Processor. Great software for stacking/mosaics and some good processing tools too. A very effective light pollution removal tool for example.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Insane price, I pay £70 a year for a bundle of six licences for Office 365!

Paint Shop pro is often available at a discount, no forced upgrade (but you do get a damn popup every week or so) I got the 2017 version for about £30, direct from the company so totally legit.

Plus legit old versions of Photoshop are easily obtained secondhand.

I'll have another look--but the last time I tried 2nd hand the dangers were high--and for authorized licenses costs were as well.  Then, I wouldn't know a proper authorization if it hit me.

Rodd

Archived