Narrowband

ZWO ASI 1600MM-PRO Mono - Which Filters?

Hailfire101

Hi all. 

I'm soon going to upgrade my camera game from the DSLR to the 1600MM-PRO

On FLO they have a package deal, that has filters and a filter wheel, but they are different sizes. 1.5", 31mm and 36mm

Which ones should I get? I have a f5 200p and I'm on the understanding that the 1.5" ones would be fine, but for a faster scope I'd need the 31mm ones? (Due to vignetting) 

Is this right? Thanks in advance, Mike

As I already had some Baader 1.25 LRGB CCD filters, I just added the Ha, Hb, Oiii & Sii, and even though I have the FW & camera directly coupled, I still get a very slight vignette in the corners (its where the incoming circular light cone hits the square\oblong sensor, leaving the corners underexposed to a lesser or greater degree, but it can be 'iron-out' during processing).

If I was starting from scratch, I would have gone for the 7 way 36mm EFW and dropped out the Hb filter... 

12 hours ago, Hailfire101 said:

Hi all. 

I'm soon going to upgrade my camera game from the DSLR to the 1600MM-PRO

On FLO they have a package deal, that has filters and a filter wheel, but they are different sizes. 1.5", 31mm and 36mm

Which ones should I get? I have a f5 200p and I'm on the understanding that the 1.5" ones would be fine, but for a faster scope I'd need the 31mm ones? (Due to vignetting) 

Is this right? Thanks in advance, Mike

Its my personal view that you are better off with Baader or Astronomik filters as opposed to the bundled ZWO filters, ZWO 31mm filters suffer from reflections from the edge of the filter so don't get those and the narrow band have high out of band leaquage. 

The ZWO LRGB should be ok in 1.25 mounted though.

1.25 filters will be fine at F5. 36mm are not required unless imaging at F2 (think hyper-star / fast lens).  

I would likely get the ZWO LRGB set in 1.25 and then go with Baader or Astronomik for the narrowband. Don't get too enthralled by the bundles I checked them out when I was buying my 1600mm pro from FLO and you don't really save that much over the separate cost.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

related question, is it possible to buy holders for 31mm filters that will screw into a 1.25" filter wheel? Sorry if this is diverting the thread.

I believe Astrodon made something along those lines at some point but I don't like your chances of getting hold of one. 

11 hours ago, Adam J said:

Its my personal view that you are better off with Baader or Astronomik filters as opposed to the bundled ZWO filters, ZWO 31mm filters suffer from reflections from the edge of the filter so don't get those and the narrow band have high out of band leaquage. 

The ZWO LRGB should be ok in 1.25 mounted though.

1.25 filters will be fine at F5. 36mm are not required unless imaging at F2 (think hyper-star / fast lens).  

I would likely get the ZWO LRGB set in 1.25 and then go with Baader or Astronomik for the narrowband. Don't get too enthralled by the bundles I checked them out when I was buying my 1600mm pro from FLO and you don't really save that much over the separate cost.

So the ZWO LRGB 1.25 filters and the baader 1.25 narrowband should be what I need? 

Should I get a 8 position filter wheel too? (The bundle one only has room for 5)

Just now, Hailfire101 said:

So the ZWO LRGB 1.25 filters and the baader 1.25 narrowband should be what I need? 

Should I get a 8 position filter wheel too? (The bundle one only has room for 5)

I got the 8 position wheel because I did not want to deal with having to switch filters out between narrow band and LRGB.

That sounds like a reasonable combination to me, if you want to save some money then ditch the SII for now, its a marginally useful filter in comparison to Ha and OIII.

3 minutes ago, Hailfire101 said:

Thanks for the advice. I was worried about vignette issues, and f they will be OK for the 200p I'm happy to get them. :)

Thanks

Vignetting will be exactly the same as on my 130pds so a tiny bit easily taken out with flat frames.

I've taken a screenshot of what I think I'll go for.  I've gone for the Baader LRGB and Narrowband filters along with the 7 position ZWO wheel.

I'll have to ask FLO about spaces and so on too, as I've not a clue what I'll need in those! haha
All fun and games.

Next, learn how to image and process CCD RGB! :)  (Or at least, get my head around the ratios and what it means!)

Camera and Filters.jpg

2 hours ago, Hailfire101 said:

I've taken a screenshot of what I think I'll go for.  I've gone for the Baader LRGB and Narrowband filters along with the 7 position ZWO wheel.

I'll have to ask FLO about spaces and so on too, as I've not a clue what I'll need in those! haha
All fun and games.

Next, learn how to image and process CCD RGB! :)  (Or at least, get my head around the ratios and what it means!)

Camera and Filters.jpg

The picture shows a Hb filter, but the description says Ha, OIII and SII. Just to be sure, you will not need the Hb filter. 

Archived