Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter's additional Family

barkis

Apparently one is on a collision course with the others. It has a retrograde orbit, tantamount to driving down a Motorway the wrong way :eek:.     The collision will be visible from Earth. Sorry, I don't have times or dates, but I'm sure data will be made available via AN.

33 minutes ago, barkis said:

HehHeh!!  Our famed news sheet anagrammed. On a par with Yahoo for drivel speak.?

Date's back to the days when newspapers were printed with real typeand it was notorious for typos, it was coined by was 'Etavirpe Yee' ?

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Date's back to the days when newspapers were printed with real typeand it was notorious for typos, it was coined by was 'Etavirpe Yee' ?

Well one can understand the mistakes. Must have been tedious setting all that the type. The type setters were very skilled, but human, and humans are, and always will be capable of making mistakes. 

1 hour ago, barkis said:

Apparently one is on a collision course with the others. It has a retrograde orbit, tantamount to driving down a Motorway the wrong way :eek:.     The collision will be visible from Earth. Sorry, I don't have times or dates, but I'm sure data will be made available via AN.

It's the other way round: most of the new moons are retrograde, as is usual for these captured moons. But one has a prograde (normal) orbit, putting it technically on a colission course with the others. But they may have been in those orbits for a long time, I'm not holding my breath...

3 hours ago, barkis said:

That event alone would be worth buying a 30" Dobsession. Now,.............how to get to the EP. I have terrible veritgo and im not much good at climbing ladders anyway.

If the tube is rotatable, and the focuser can be placed in an optimum position for you.
one of these might be a big help. Not all that expensive to buy either.
Hydraulically operated by hand, could get you to the height you need to reach the eyepiece.
This is a draughtsman's  version, there may be others.
You would need it on a firm base though, you don't want it shifting around when you are seated up there.
Any object you view is obviously going to move out of view in time, so allowances need to be made for that,
such as placing the target in view east of you a bit, and draw the scope towards you as the earth rotates
Will give you a little  extended time at the eyepiece.
Seems a bit elaborate Paul, but I can't think of any other solution.

Hydraulic Chair.jpg

Archived