Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sketching Easel

2Karl

As a leaving gift, my colleagues at work bought me a sketching easel. Guess I've got no excuse not to sketch my observations now! Any suggestions for easy starting points? I'm thinking double stars might be good.

You might find using an easel at the eyepiece problematic. I prefer a hand held hard back sketch book for rough eyepiece sketches, then a second, high quality hard back sketch book for making a cleaned up drawing once I'm back in the house. I use a small drawing board or just rest the pad on a table rather than use an easel. Whatever you choose that works for you, if you keep things simple, you'll enjoy sketching your observations as they make a great record to look back on.

Double stars and nebulae are good starting points, as are planets like mars and Venus. The moon is more complex.

Yes, I agree with Mike, it may be best to use a good notepad at the eyepiece, and finish the sketch indoors ASP. I  started with Jupiter and Mars, but the Sun is also a good choice.  The Moon, probably the most difficult, there is just so much detail visible through a scope.  Please post any results.   Chris.  

Archived