SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Len(s) for Mars/Jupiter/Saturn Telescope stats included.

My daughter has really taken an interest in the sky and I'm trying to nurture that interest.

Is there any lens I can get for the following telescope that would make say Mars look anything more than a tiny dot?

Its an old Orion telescope I got 20 years ago.
F8.8
4.5 short tube
Diameter 114mm
F.L. 1000mm

Hi, I agree with Gus above, the BST StarGuiders, either the 8mm (125x) or the 5mm (gives you 200x) will be good, the 8mm being better as 5mm is pushing it a bit.  Also note that any planet will look like a pea through a telescope and also Mars is not the easiest planet to look at.

Robin recommended the bst Starguiders to me a few years ago, they are really good value, and give

great views, the 8mm is a great choice, try observing Saturn, you will be amazed.

14 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Also note that any planet will look like a pea through a telescope

I would disagree Robin! more Petit Pois, even smaller, thats my experience ( the only gripe with my present scope, the image scale afforded)  but happy in all other respects.

10 hours ago, ronl said:

Robin recommended the bst Starguiders to me a few years ago, they are really good value, and give

great views, the 8mm is a great choice, try observing Saturn, you will be amazed.

Ditto.....

Archived