Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stunning Summer haul.

cotterless45

Some darkness ! Saturn wobbled , but the seeing higher up was stunning. 

Vulpecula. M27 glowed brightly at one end with a UHC filter. Over the other side of Albireo , M71 was delicate. Had a look at some clusters in Vulpecula,

NGC 6800, ring like with delicate star cloud. NGC 6802, dusty. NGC 6815, a great scattering in the Milky Way.NGC 6823 and NGC 6830, both with chains and dust.NGC 6855 (C37), very fine. NGC 6882, really bright and a superb gem , worth finding ! NGC 6940, nebulousity with a UHC filter , includes an orange giant (+6.3). NGC 6820 , nebulosity which includes the open cluster. I checked the view of nebulosity against the Eastern Veil. Really bright at NGC 6995 and 6692.

Aquarius showed the "Saturn nebula", NGC 7009. It blinks so well , you can't focus on it, choose a field star. At higher magnification, it showed a wingnut shape. Mars was huge and the disc very stable . Just about no surface markings, but it held the view over x200. The dust storm continues. Rather like talcum powder being wafted about, than rocky maelströms of cinema.

Had a look at the double cluster, the dust of NGC 7789. Over to Andromeda and the bright blue "blue snowball" NGC 7662. Checked out another tester, the very close split (1.1") of 36 Andromedae. Very clean and open at x216. Some seeing !

Turned to some favourite binaries and in Vulpecula and Aquila.

Vulpecula. Σ2455 ,Σ2457 ,find these ! There are two binaries in a line facing each other. 4 Vulpeculae is the bright star in the coathanger, Cr 399. Look closer , it's a triple with a faint elusive C .Σ 2655 gave a perfect pair of bright twins.IMG_6096.thumb.JPG.572c85b377e580ca60090fc8c9cc7b8a.JPG

Aquila gave some beautiful sights. π Aquilae being very fine and a bright easy challenging 1.4".IMG_6095.thumb.JPG.eaa1ee9d1555e8a13e173ce9a79271d4.JPG

Just after 1.30, a ver bright and high pass of the ISS, gave my salute and wave , under warm clear skies ! Nick.

Clouded out here very disappointed had a few targets wanted to try. I was going to look for the coathanger asterism I did not know 4 vul was in there. 

Going write these down as well cracking drawings as usual I have saved them.

On 16/07/2018 at 10:13, wookie1965 said:

Clouded out here very disappointed had a few targets wanted to try. I was going to look for the coathanger asterism I did not know 4 vul was in there. 

Going write these down as well cracking drawings as usual I have saved them.

Brochiis is a fabulous sight and a personal favourite of fellow star gazer Vicky  

On 16/07/2018 at 10:13, wookie1965 said:

I was going to look for the coathanger asterism I did not know 4 vul was in there. 

Cr 399 also contains 5 Vul and 7 Vul. You'll find the asterism disappointing in a telescope as it's 1.5 degrees long. Too much for most scopes. It's much better in binoculars. If you do find it in your scope, pick out 4 Vul, as Nick suggests, but then as another test, move 17' east of 7 Vul to see if you can pick up the tiny, sparkly open cluster NGC 6802.

It isn't easy, as most of its stars are of the 14th magnitude, but it is a genuine cluster, unlike Cr 399 itself.

30 minutes ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

Cr 399 also contains 5 Vul and 7 Vul. You'll find the asterism disappointing in a telescope as it's 1.5 degrees long. Too much for most scopes. It's much better in binoculars. If you do find it in your scope, pick out 4 Vul, as Nick suggests, but then as another test, move 17' east of 7 Vul to see if you can pick up the tiny, sparkly open cluster NGC 6802.

It isn't easy, as most of its stars are of the 14th magnitude, but it is a genuine cluster, unlike Cr 399 itself.

Probably won't get that with my light pollution but I will give it a go with the 8" never get it in the 4"  Thanks for that.

Archived