Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Absolute newbie from Doncaster, UK

Ja88erw0cky

5 minutes ago, Ja88erw0cky said:

I've managed to polar align even though it seems quite hard to use the RA and DEC to locate something. Maybe it's because essentially an inexpensive tripod?

Hi Matt, you don't need to accurately polar align for purely visual use so don't get too hung up on this.  The RA and DEC slo-mo controls should not come into contact with each other or the tripod, you might be doing something wrong.   As far as I can see the tripod and mount look good and are by no means a cheap option.  I think perhaps you will need a little more practice to get used to it, it is not easy to operate an EQ mount, I much prefer AZ mounts. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll post a photo when I next set it up incase I've got something in the wrong place. I've found if I polar align that the RA knob does successfully track objects. It's only when moving the telescope around that they tend to meet. It's hard to figure which way to move it round to reach a subject. Pointing straight up and also to the south are proving most challenging..

Hi Matt, great that you have accurately polar aligned, but to be honest using RA and DEC to find objects can be difficult when on such a small (and inaccurate) scale as on this telescope.  On manuevering the telescope, south is difficult to do as you have to perform what we call here a 'meridian flip', ie. when polar aligned the OTA is flipped right over to face south and the focuser is now in the wrong place, you then have to rotate the OTA to get it in the right place again.  I think you will find this great video by David Fuller useful:

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

21 hours ago, Ja88erw0cky said:

Only the one that was attached to it. It's a small red dot one. I've aligned it in daylight and it seems to work ok but it's much harder to use at night because the target is much dimmer.

I saw a DIY using a green laser pen, was thinking of giving that a go

If you do get a green laser pen finder, just keep an eye, or have someone keep watch, for aircraft to/from Doncaster/Sheffield - 'Robin Hood' [DSA] airport.

3 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

If you do get a green laser pen finder, just keep an eye, or have someone keep watch, for aircraft to/from Doncaster/Sheffield - 'Robin Hood' [DSA] airport.

That's a point, I'm pretty close to it. Maybe not the best idea ? 

1 hour ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Matt, great that you have accurately polar aligned, but to be honest using RA and DEC to find objects can be difficult when on such a small (and inaccurate) scale as on this telescope.  On manuevering the telescope, south is difficult to do as you have to perform what we call here a 'meridian flip', ie. when polar aligned the OTA is flipped right over to face south and the focuser is now in the wrong place, you then have to rotate the OTA to get it in the right place again.  I think you will find this great video by David Fuller useful:

Sorry, only just noticed your message. Thankyou for the video, will be giving that a watch shortly.

The eyepiece is a challenge lol, it never seems to be in the right place. I'm finding I've got to loosen and rotate it, meaning I have to rebalance too...

Welcome Matt from land down under

When doing school and scout group presentation, I use a 17mm wide-angle eyepiece

Gives good eye relief, and a slightly wider spread when observing globular clusters

Not sure if you able to observe Scorpio this time of year in your location, several globular clusters round Antares, including the Butterfly

Hope you both have our of enjoyment from your new toy

John

1 hour ago, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome Matt from land down under

When doing school and scout group presentation, I use a 17mm wide-angle eyepiece

Gives good eye relief, and a slightly wider spread when observing globular clusters

Not sure if you able to observe Scorpio this time of year in your location, several globular clusters round Antares, including the Butterfly

Hope you both have our of enjoyment from your new toy

John

Thankyou! Just the tail of Scorpio is visible at my location. Antares (according to Stellarium) is currently about 7 degrees up so probably obscured at the moment. Fully clouded over here at the min, I'll have a look as soon as I get a clear night. Thankyou for your advice, target suggestions are very much appreciated :)

14 hours ago, Ja88erw0cky said:

The eyepiece is a challenge lol, it never seems to be in the right place. I'm finding I've got to loosen and rotate it, meaning I have to rebalance too..

The video starts off with a refractor, but don't be put off by this, the central part is all about a reflector just like yours and he shows you how to balance and rotate it, you will see something very familiar to yourself here. 

Welcome indeed. My first advice would be to buy this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightwatch-Practical-Guide-Viewing-Universe/dp/155407147X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

I bought the 2001 edition (spiral bound) in 2001 and still use it for Star charts today. Fab book for basic info, and of course the Star charts.. to be fair even a cheap second hand copy of even the 2001 edition will see you right. Of course it only covers astro events upto 2010!.. the new version up to 2025.

Enjoy the journey......

Hello Matt.

Welcome to SGL. A good scope choice and as you are finding already, lots of helpful folks on this forum. Enjoy your time on here.

There is a bit learning in how to handle an EQ mount. But once done, it is like riding a bike.
If you think there might be a problem causing the slo mo controls to hit each other, just post some pictures.
On secondhand kit, you are not necessarily the first person to incorrectly assemble something!
And there is no such thing as a stupid question - we have all been there.

Clear skies, David.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Welcome indeed. My first advice would be to buy this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightwatch-Practical-Guide-Viewing-Universe/dp/155407147X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

I bought the 2001 edition (spiral bound) in 2001 and still use it for Star charts today. Fab book for basic info, and of course the Star charts.. to be fair even a cheap second hand copy of even the 2001 edition will see you right. Of course it only covers astro events upto 2010!.. the new version up to 2025.

Enjoy the journey......

Will take a look at this , thankyou :)

7 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Hello Matt.

Welcome to SGL. A good scope choice and as you are finding already, lots of helpful folks on this forum. Enjoy your time on here.

There is a bit learning in how to handle an EQ mount. But once done, it is like riding a bike.
If you think there might be a problem causing the slo mo controls to hit each other, just post some pictures.
On secondhand kit, you are not necessarily the first person to incorrectly assemble something!
And there is no such thing as a stupid question - we have all been there.

Clear skies, David.

I suspect it's me moving the scope incorrectly rather than it being assembled incorrectly, but here are a few photos...

In hindsight, I could probably have thought the background of these images better :)

20180717_172757.jpg

20180717_172757_a.jpg

20180717_172829.jpg

20180717_172829_a.jpg

Hi Matt.

A much newer EQ mount than any I have owned. Mine have always been plain black - much easier to lose in the dark.

Your setup seems basically OK. I can't read the latitude setting. But it looks to be set up for somewhere nearer the top end of Scotland pole than Doncaster.
I'm a bit surprised at the latitude adjustment bolt. Does the threaded end really grind a shoulder against the mount material?
I am used to mounts with push/pull bolts that act more or less face on the mount parts.

Another comment is the DEC control. You might find it useful to have it pointed up, towards the eyepiece, rather than down.
Whether that is better depends on the tube balance point and length of slo mo.
If you a have long reflector with the slo mo pointing down, you may need Gibbon length arms.

Hope this helps,

David.

21 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Hi Matt.

A much newer EQ mount than any I have owned. Mine have always been plain black - much easier to lose in the dark.

Your setup seems basically OK. I can't read the latitude setting. But it looks to be set up for somewhere nearer the top end of Scotland pole than Doncaster.
I'm a bit surprised at the latitude adjustment bolt. Does the threaded end really grind a shoulder against the mount material?
I am used to mounts with push/pull bolts that act more or less face on the mount parts.

Another comment is the DEC control. You might find it useful to have it pointed up, towards the eyepiece, rather than down.
Whether that is better depends on the tube balance point and length of slo mo.
If you a have long reflector with the slo mo pointing down, you may need Gibbon length arms.

Hope this helps,

David.

Hi David, thankyou for taking the time.

I assumed it was probably a lesser quality mount compared to some of the amazing ones I've seen. Also that I only paid £30 for the whole lot.

My latitude is at about 58, as far as I know it should be 51? But assumed again that maybe a budget mount means some inaccuracy. I'll reapproach it again once I've completed this run of shifts and see if there's something out on it. Pretty much the bolt just pushes against the metal with about to tighten in place. I'll take a photo shortly.

I'll try moving the DEC the other way, I think you're absolutely right! Although some may say I do in fact have gibbon length arms...

Some things to go on with there, thankyou again

Matt

Archived