SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Absolute newbie from Doncaster, UK

Ja88erw0cky

Hi all, my girlfriend bought me a second-hand telescope for fathers day.

She bought me a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ with two 20mm lenses. I've since bought some other lenses, I now have a 17mm Plossl, a 6mm Plossl, a 4mm Plossl and a 2x Barlow.
I've had great fun with it so far, seen the moon in great detail, Jupiter and 4 of its moons and best of all so far Saturn and its rings.

When it comes to star hopping, I haven't a clue lol. I suspect I need something like a 32mm to get a wider field of view?

Anyhow, wanted to say hi, because I reckon ill be pestering you all with stupid questions soon enough lol

Matt

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Welcome to SGL, it's a great time of the year to begin. Dark nights on their way

Not ventured further than the garden yet lol, trying to get used to it first. Especially as its about 2330 before its dark enough for me lol cant wait till the early nights

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

Hi Welcome to SGL :smile:

A 32mm is a very useful low power eyepiece. A 32mm Plössl will give you x20 and a 2½° field of view - fine for star hopping.

thankyou, looks like ill have to lay my hands on one then...

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Welcome @Ja88erw0cky

First question, do you have a finder? If so, what sort and is it aligned properly?

Have fun out there!

Only the one that was attached to it. It's a small red dot one. I've aligned it in daylight and it seems to work ok but it's much harder to use at night because the target is much dimmer.

I saw a DIY using a green laser pen, was thinking of giving that a go

Hi, Matt, and welcome to SGL.

Just to correct (if I may) one comment you made in your original post ... there are no "stupid" questions on this forum. We all started with ZERO knowledge and experience (a level that you have clearly already passed) and you will find the membership willing to share the knowledge they have gained over many millenia of combined accumulated experience.

Enjoy the journey.

11 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Matt, and welcome to SGL.

Just to correct (if I may) one comment you made in your original post ... there are no "stupid" questions on this forum. We all started with ZERO knowledge and experience (a level that you have clearly already passed) and you will find the membership willing to share the knowledge they have gained over many millenia of combined accumulated experience.

Enjoy the journey.

Thankyou!

Really enjoying it so far. Managed to get Mars last night. I'm finding it weirdly satisfying lol

Is it normal for the slow motion controls to be a pain and keep hitting each other when I try to maneuver the scope? I've managed to polar align even though it seems quite hard to use the RA and DEC to locate something. Maybe it's because essentially an inexpensive tripod?

Matt

Archived