Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M20 - Trifid Nebula

hjw

It is the time of the year, where we have a plethora of objects high in the sky but the weather is such, that last night was the first night in almost two month where I could go for a DSO. I decided, from all possibilities to go for M20 because I really like the diversity of colors in this nebula. The Trifid nebula is located in the Sagittarius constellation and is about 5200 ly away. It has a rare combination of an open cluster, an emission nebula (red), a reflection nebula (blue) and dark dust bands.

1654497909_M20-TrifidNebula.thumb.jpg.7a9d652904b9c502f9c9bdef000d54e3.jpg

Equipment: Saxon 200DS (8", f/5) scope on a HEQ5 mount, SW ST80 guide scope with a ZWO ASI123MC guide camera, GSO coma corrector, Pentax K-30 camera.

54 x 120sec light frames ISO1600 (I went for shorter exposures because the wind pushed this setup right to its limit), 20 flat frames and 150 bias frames.

For the rest of the week, it will be cloudy with rain and then the moon will be in the way should it clear up. All those missed opportunities. Alas, you can't have everything :(

Clear skies!

HJ

Archived